Wine from Tinned (canned) fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine from Tinned (canned) fruit

According to CJJ Berry's making wine from canned fruit there are two basic methods of making this type of wine. A hot extraction and a cold extraction method.
    However after much consideration, I think that the cold extraction method is preferable, as it means we don't have issues with hazes like we would using hot water, and we also don't have any danger of adding a "cooked" flavour. The recipes in his book use 1 tin per gallon, (he gives an option of using more than 1 tin per gallon for more body, and I think this is preferable, using two 411g tins of fruit seems to give more body.

You may wish to mix and match different fruits, one tin of each, you may also adjust the levels of acid and tannin to match the fruit being used.

Use good quality yeast...if you wish to see how yeast affects a finished wine, make one batch of the strawberry using a GP yeast and use Lalvin 71B-1122 (or Gervin Varietal D) on another, you will be amazed at the extra body, mouth-feel and fruit forward style of the one made with the good yeast.

Fruit cocktail
    2 X 411g tins fruit cocktail
    1 Kilo sugar (approx....start with 500g and use hydrometer to adjust must to 1.080 while adding more)
    1 teaspoon citric acid
    1 teaspoon tannin
    2 teaspoons pectolase (this fruit seems to need the extra)
    1 tsp good quality yeast nutrient
    1 3mg vitamin B1 tablet
    Good quality yeast
    Water to 1 Gallon

Tinned strawberry
    2 X 411g tins of strawberries
    1 Kilo sugar (approx....start with 500g and use hydrometer to adjust must to 1.080 while adding more)
    3 teaspoons citric acid
    1/2 teaspoon tannin
    1 tsp Pectolase
    1 tsp good quality yeast nutrient
    1 3mg vitamin B1 tablet
    Good quality yeast
    Water to 1 gallon

Same method for both recipes

Pour the syrup from the can into the primary fermenter, liquidise or mash the fruit with a potato masher
    Boil 2 litres of water and dissolve the sugar in it, allow to cool to 70 degrees F, place fruit pulp into primary and pour over the sugar syrup.
    Add water to the shoulder of the DJ, add the acid, tannin, pectolase, yeast energiser and yeast, leave enough room for a head to form during ferment and fit airlock
    stir daily, when S.G. reaches 1.010 rack into a clean demijohn, leaving the sediment behind, top up with cooled boiled water to he neck of the DJ.

ferment till finished, racking and bottling as normal.

hope this helps

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-04-2008, 08:54 AM. Reason: Tweaked again!
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Just my observations.. But I've found 750g to 800g of sugar to give me around 1.080. Easier to add more sugar if it's not enough, than to take it away.

Bob, feel free to add/delete/adjust my sleepless ramblings...

Rich

Comment

Good point Rich....

ammended again
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
      X