No announcement yet.

Rhubarb Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Oxalic acid is present in the leaves, but not in the stems...
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Guys do you use the syrup in the tinned rubarb??

Nia XXX
      Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Yes Nia ....most definately
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I'm doing this one again.... the method that Karl (Duffbeer) posted, as it was lovely last year.
          It definatley aged well, and the rhubarb flavour really came through after that length of time.
          I cant remember which one tasted better, the one I did with RGJ or RGC, because I got them mixed up, but to be honest there wasnt much in it

I have 12.5 kilos of rhubarb, so I am hoping to have enough juice to get at least 5 gallons on the go.
          If I have anymore than that, then I am going to do an experimental gallon of rhubarb and something or other
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

And again its not starting !!!
            One more day and its getting it !!

Comment

Vaseline !!
              I "think" it may be going, just a dodgy seal

Comment

It IS going
                Got a 3 gallon batch of rhubarb to start off today... gonna do it with some juice I got from Lidl, strawberry iced tea
                I think it will be a good combination

Comment

If you did the freeze/thaw and strain for the rhubarb Carole, a good thing for the pulp leftover is rhubarb and ginger jam.

Clare got me a little pot from the farmers market in Shoreham last weekend. Damn its nice. Certainly got me thinking about the potential for a mead recipe, as the combo is very complimentary....
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                    If you did the freeze/thaw and strain for the rhubarb Carole, a good thing for the pulp leftover is rhubarb and ginger jam.

Clare got me a little pot from the farmers market in Shoreham last weekend. Damn its nice. Certainly got me thinking about the potential for a mead recipe, as the combo is very complimentary....
                    Mead with rhubard do you mean fb? Honey, rhubard juice, water yeast...? What about the ginger...? I'll have a bit of rhubarb juice left for a different batch of something and this could be it...!

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                      Mead with rhubard do you mean fb? Honey, rhubard juice, water yeast...? What about the ginger...? I'll have a bit of rhubarb juice left for a different batch of something and this could be it...!
                      It would be something like, starting it as a traditional, then once it gets the gravity down, the rhubarb and ginger in at 1.020 at the earliest, then leaving it all in there for at least a month, possibly longer. Then straining it off the pulp/debris into DJ's (it would be started in a bucket) too drop a sediment, etc etc with the rest being done as normal - I'd make it sweet or semi.

The jam taste was wonderful, and to be able to get even a fraction of the flavour into a mel would be excellent
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post

I did do the freeze/thaw thing.. then put it through a juicer too, even although the machine said it shouldn't
                        The pulp wasnt up to much after that
                        But maybe next year I will do that....as I'm not sure I would put the juicer through that again

The rhubarb and strawberry iced tea is going now too

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
                          My rhubarb and ginger (I was inspired by Zeb) is coming along nicely.
                          I may make some of this, this year . I have some crystalised ginger that may be good for this
                          I am also going to do the rhubarb and strawberry iced tea from lidl or strawberry tea bag wine again. It is a really good combo

Comment

Working...
                          X