Converting how many pounds of berries from a steam juicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting how many pounds of berries from a steam juicer

Hi I just was given several gals of frozen elderberries and blackberries juice made with a steam juicer. The only conversion I can find is that a quart of elderberries / blackberries make 2 to 3 cups of juice.. (per the juicer info on download page) As I'm trying to use the basic 3 pounds of berries receipe, Does anyone know how much does a a quart of the berries weigh so I can substitute the right amount of the juice I have, to equal the 3 pounds of berries.

When I steam juice my own this year I will weigh the berries first and then have the correct amount but I need to use this juice up now.

Thanks
    RON

Use 2 litres of (steamed) juice for a gallon of wine 1 litre Elderberry and 1 litre Blackberry

or 1 litre of mixed juice and 1 litre red grape concentrate.....

in both cases sugar to 1.080

(thats the way i do it anyhow)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thank you , I will try that...

I have looked at a lot of basic wine receipes 3# fruit per gal., and find some confusion over which additives to use especially when using fruit juices steam juiced, IE

Campden tablets
      Wine yeast
      Yeast nutrient
      Pectic enzyme
      Grape tannin
      Acid blend

can you point me in the right direction of the how tos of using juices (steamed) ? Compared to your #1 wine method of just using juice from the store? maybe a link to one of your favorite receipes for the mixed version.

When you say red grape concentrate are you meaning like the frozen grape juice you purchase at the supermarket and is it 1 liter of concentrate or say a 12 oz. can mixed with water making 1 liter.

Thanks, been on to many sites reading a lot of conflicting ideas... I started extract brewing beer in the early 70's... went to all grain about 10 years ago. kinda want to do the same but really dont want to buy the kits... I live in a very good wine grape growing area SE Washington State. so will want to do that as soon as I wet my feet a little as the grapes are here pretty cheap.

Thanks for your patience and help

RON

Copyright 2004-2009, All Right Reserved.
      Privacy Policy

Comment

Originally posted by Asparky View Post
        Thank you , I will try that...

I have looked at a lot of basic wine receipes 3# fruit per gal., and find some confusion over which additives to use especially when using fruit juices steam juiced, IE

Campden tablets
        Wine yeast
        Yeast nutrient
        Pectic enzyme
        Grape tannin
        Acid blend
        Campden tablets - basically this is needed to make the wine "keep"... that means color and so that bad microbacteria don't get into the wine. Use this once every 2 rackings or so.

Wine yeast - I'd go for the Lalvin 71b-1122
        Nutrient - yes, I'd use that, although some might disagree. It gets the fermentation going nicely, and that is always a plus.
        Pectic enzyme - yes I'd use that too. It's to get rid of macroparticles that fruit often gives you. I use it even if people say it's not needed. I think it helps no matter what.
        Acid blend - hmmm, tough call on blackberries and elderberries. Anyone?

When you say red grape concentrate are you meaning like the frozen grape juice you purchase at the supermarket and is it 1 liter of concentrate or say a 12 oz. can mixed with water making 1 liter.
        yes, you are in the States. Welch's frozen grape concentrates are nice for beginning wines. Usually 1 can per gallon will suffice.

Hope this helps,

M.
        Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
        Twitter: VirtualWineO
        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by medpretzel View Post
          Acid blend - hmmm, tough call on blackberries and elderberries. Anyone?
          Add acid to TA 6 to7g/l (measured as tartaric...see your test kit for details) if you have a test kit, if not then add to taste

I wouldnt use acid blend, I would use acids that complement the fruit (i.e. not present in the fruit you are using)

see here for acids and sugar levels in fruit

blackberries and elderberries contain Malic and Citric, so I would use tartaric to complement....

make sense?

hope this helps
          regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks guys

So, using juices, if I make just a gallon can I put in a gallon jug with a ferm lock and good to go or will the fermentation be too much for the jug... Ie leave a little space and add water after primary fermentation? or just use some of my 5 gal buckets?

If I make 5 gals can I use my BEER 6 gal food grade buckets... OR will the beer making buckets impact flavers into the wine and after I make wine will it do the same to future beer making?? I guess what Im asking is can you use the same bucket to brew beer and make wine?

Thanks
            RON

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              Use 2 litres of (steamed) juice for a gallon of wine 1 litre Elderberry and 1 litre Blackberry
              ... how many lb (or kg if you are modern) will you need to get 2 litres? Going by the Colin Tweed YouTube videos I'd guess around 6lb.
              Last edited by goldseal; 02-09-2009, 10:40 AM. Reason: Ineptitude
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                I'd guess around 6lb.

my steamer filled....gives me 2 litres and it takes approx 6lbs to fill it

so you are indeed correct sir!
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Lockwood

OK so Im a little confused... most of the basic wine fruit receipes Ive seen call for 3 pounds of fruit... which would make 1 litre of juice, but above you say use 1 litre each of elderberrys and blackberries are you making 1 gal or 2 gal with this... It would seem I should only use 1 Litre of steamed juice for 1 gal?? what would the finished product be like.. 1litre of juice compared to 2 litre of juice?

When you steam juice the elderberries do you remove the stems as in pulp fermenting? The juice I have was made with small stems, and perhaps even some big stems... It makes wonderful jams & jellies... very nice tastes.

The complimentry acid you call for (tartaric), is it about the same taste as adding the juice of lemons and oranges? and the raisans that are usually added with the lemon and oranges... what do they do?... would you recommend this over the tartaric acid

Do you have a personnal elderberry / blackberry receipe you like?

Did you also have a comment on using my beer frementing buckets? I see some use the plastic milk jugs for basic frozen concentrate fermenting... I used them for making hard cider once and they seemed OK??

Thanks for your patience Im about ready to start... I think I'll make some basic frozen grape concentrate, maybe cranberry also wine to be able to taste quickly along with the fruit wine that has to age... I always recommend to beer newbies to make some wheat or hefe beer as its ready to drink while their ales etc are ageing

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron

Originally posted by Asparky View Post
                    OK so Im a little confused... most of the basic wine fruit receipes Ive seen call for 3 pounds of fruit... which would make 1 litre of juice, but above you say use 1 litre each of elderberrys and blackberries are you making 1 gal or 2 gal with this... It would seem I should only use 1 Litre of steamed juice for 1 gal?? what would the finished product be like.. 1litre of juice compared to 2 litre of juice?
                    i like to use 4lbs of fresh fruit 2lb blackberries and 2lbs 'elderberries

if using steamed juice, then i use 1 litre of each, it results in a very fulsome deep bodied red wine, i also add 10 grams of white American oak per gallon

When you steam juice the elderberries do you remove the stems as in pulp fermenting?
                    Yes

The complimentry acid you call for (tartaric), is it about the same taste as adding the juice of lemons and oranges? and the raisans that are usually added with the lemon and oranges... what do they do?... would you recommend this over the tartaric acid
                    No, lemons and oranges contain citric acid and so wouldn't compliment, but just add more citric, i use tartaric for two reasons, firstly it complements the malic and citric already present, and secondly it is easier acid to work with in regard to getting it out afterwards if needed.

I don't EVER use raisins, they impart a harshness that i don't care for, however i sometimes use sultanas, but i don't feel they have any place in an elderberry wine
                    Do you have a personnal elderberry / blackberry receipe you like?
                    see above

Did you also have a comment on using my beer frementing buckets? I see some use the plastic milk jugs for basic frozen concentrate fermenting... I used them for making hard cider once and they seemed OK??
                    they should be fine
                    regards
                    bob
                    Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-09-2009, 04:55 PM.
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Campden tablets

If you add an additonal campden tablet to a gallon by mistake ops!!, will this cause any problems.

I've currently got 9 DJ's on the go and somehow lost count

Comment

When you say 'additional', how many campden tablets have you added to the gallon in total, and are you intending to start fermentation soon?
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
                        X