Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete I was disappointed that I couldn't spot the rubber boot smell in my Trebbiano, the Grenache Rose was undrinkable and the Merlott was over oaked. They all had basic faults that I didn't spot.

On top of that I made some adjustments to the GF13 musts that resulted in 2 batches of red wine with very high acid levels and 2 other batches suffered from sulphur smells that I have struggled to get rid of.

It kind of knocked my confidence in my ability a bit. This is my 4th year of winemaking and I feel I should be better at spotting problems and solving them.

Comment

• Thanks Pete, I was thinking that question

With real grapes, I have always found it easier to ferment them in the simplest possible way. Carefully selecting yeast et al, but not much else. It is much easier to do bench tests and adjust the finished wine for me than it is do the numbers.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
        This is my 4th year of winemaking and I feel I should be better at spotting problems and solving them.
        I would have thought that not having those sort of problems until your 4th year would make you a pretty good winemaker. Generally on our own we only get to drink 1 bottle at a time so it is very difficult to do comparisons. One of the good things about GF is that we get to try loads of different wines side by side and therefore its really good at palate development and to pick out any details in wines that you otherwise wouldn't notice. Point is now you know what those faults are and are able to identify.
        To be honest at least in my case I recognise your story, been there, regardless of what you do with the grapes kits etc.
        By the way, the offer for a tasting session chez moi is still there when you next pass. Away a bit over Easter but otherwise pretty good. Doing a joint tasting session certainly helps and I have some rubber boot, 2010 which I am keeping for posterity.
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• For my GF2013 wines, I have had virtually zero time to 'help' them. I have done the absolute minimum, adjusted virtually nothing, and just let them get on with it. So far, I'm really pleased with the result.

The only thing I do is invest in a bit of electricity to get the red ferments up to a decent temperature, because our Septembers seem to have been a bit cold of late.

I think it's the way forward - let the wine get on with it, and don't mess with it unless I have to.

If that was your 4th year, it's only your 4th attempt at grape wine - each attempt is a year after the previous one.

If it was easy, everyone would be dong it
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Just bottled the Christmas pudding wine and I have to say it is very drinkable even this early. Also did a second run and this has turned out mighty fine too. Racked off a grape skins kit and doing a second run on the skins to make a French style rose. Put a wine number one on and a couple of limited edition kits.
            Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• It's a sad day I've sent 3 glass carbouys on there way to a new home locally. I've too many for current production levels and I'd hate to break them whilst they sat around in the way.

Good news is I've got a new wine kit coming and there is plenty of space to make it!

And, A new job means I'll be a lot closer for GF15

Comment

• started two gallons of 5alive tropical fruit blend & apple juice,wine last week its looking very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
                  A new job means I'll be a lot closer for GF15
                  GF15? Now that is some advance planning.
                  Simon
                  "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• nicely spotted
                    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 17-04-2014, 07:51 AM.
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I can finally report on some stuff going on in my winery. It's been pretty quiet there for the last 7 months.

This weekend I am bottling 16 gallons of 2012 Syrah/Shiraz and 10 gallons of Marquette (red). And if I have time, there is also 11 gallons of 2012 Merlot.

Next weekend I have a lot of white wine (and I do mean a LOT - some 55 gallons) to bottle. And I have already planned to take a couple days off from work on the 13th & 14th to bottle whatever is left. Mostly odd fruit wines in 1-3 gallon containers. Cherry, Plum, Apple, and Pineapple.

I feel rejuvenated by spring!
                      Steve

Comment

• Yeh - I might be with you there - "rejuvenated by spring " or is it exhausted!! Yesterday I went bonkers - baked bread - make an All Grain Sazz IPA and butchered 2 sides of pork. Very silly.

Bottling - I get a buddy round when doing a big session - one filling one corking and we have a great time. It find it amazing how many people really enjoy this hobby - but don't do it themselves.

Comment

• Bottled the last two carboys of wine on the bench, A Washington Meritage and a Syrah Viogner from 2012. Got a couple of kits to start now there is some room!

Comment

• Washed some bottles, trying to get all my unused bottles clean and ready for bottling. Binning the ones I can't clean ready to decide if I need to buy new.

Gave Mr Sharp some wine to try also.
                            With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
                              Bottled the last two carboys of wine on the bench, A Washington Meritage and a Syrah Viogner from 2012. Got a couple of kits to start now there is some room!
                              I bottled both of those late last year and have been very impressed with the odd bottle I have had so far. The Washington Meritage is a tannin heavy heavy weight that is enjoyable with a nice bit of beef whilst the Shiraz Viognier is more of your typical Australian fruit bomb. Looking forward to seeing how they develop over the next couple of years.

Comment

• Robwrx. I admire anyone who can manage to let wine develop over the next couple of years! Well done. Sadly My Washington Meritage was a great friend and we partied until............there was non left! Oh yes, what’s going on? Just put on two of the Wilco Chardonnay kits I've got K1V on the go so set them off with the lalvin yeast I did at one point say i would never buy a cheap kit again and make wine number one but this is half the price at £7.50 for a 30 bottle kit sucker for a bargain. I may well be eating my own words time will tell. The strange thing is I've not drank any of the Shiraz Viognier must still be in one of the glass demijohns
                                Last edited by RTPFUN; 20-05-2014, 02:11 PM.
                                Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

Working...
                                X