Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Will Frozen Blackberries Last For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Will Frozen Blackberries Last For?

I managed to pick about 40 lbs of Blackberries last year (2009) and I sill have about 20 lbs in the freezer ever since.

The freezer is a frost free type and then temperature has always been set to about -19

Been reading that most fruit will only last a year when frozen, just want to make sure that's correct before I starting chucking away 20lbs of Blackberries

Ferment them ! They might lose some condition, however they are not toxic. Certainly worth 99p of yeast!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

... Or bring them to GF and put them through Bob's steam juicer.

Or... Give them to me
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

A friend's freezer full of blackberries and loganberies broke acouple of years ago and I was given all the fruit (some of which dated 2003) so I juiced and pasteurised it. Still got some left. Raspberries can dehydrate if left in freezers.
        My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

As I understand it, if you vacuum pack before freezing then you can often get a good few years out of them.

Apparently, it doesn't matter whether the freezer is a frost free one or not, and that its about the air in the bag/packing that helps cause freezer burn (dehydration).

just my 2 pence worth!

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

"the air in the bag/packing that helps cause freezer burn."

This is true. With delicate fruits and berries, (and fish) I generally freeze in water, forming a block of ice, thus, no air. It helps to keep freezer burn at bay.
            Hootus est

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am thinking for buying a Pasturiser from Lidi, there was a post from David about these a little while ago......http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=4493

I was just wondering if I juice extracted the berries and then froze the juice, can I then keep the juice for longer or will it still go off?

Comment

Originally posted by solly View Post
                Thanks for the advice everyone, I am thinking for buying a Pasturiser from Lidi, there was a post from David about these a little while ago......http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=4493

I was just wondering if I juice extracted the berries and then froze the juice, can I then keep the juice for longer or will it still go off?
                No reason why not, though I steam extracted 15lb of elderberry on sunday and it's got me wondering whether I need to use something for an anti-oxidant as well, as I'm thinking that if the juice was frozen for any length of time, whether the colour pigment might start to go brown, from the original purple.....

regards

jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by solly View Post

Have Lidl got any left? I haven't noticed any in my store for some time, but if they'ree still about The Daily Express are supposed to have £5 off a £30 spend vouchers in for 7 days starting Sat 25th Sept 2010 that wil help get the cost down.
                  My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Working...
                  X