Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between Campden Tablets and Wine Stabiliser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between Campden Tablets and Wine Stabiliser?

hi,

For years I've used both, and they both seem to perform much the same purpose, but Campden tablets are Sodium Metabisulphate, whereas Stabilising powder is Potassium Sorbate.

So, are they perform basically the same function, despite the chemical differences?

Kieron
    Visit my Gold Panning Blog

Hi Keiron

I am not sure that is correct

Campden tablets are potassium metabisulphite

And stabiliser is potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite combined

So they dont perform the same function. Campden tablets are to prevent spoilage and sorbate is to prevent refermentation by stopping yeast budding (reproducing)

Stabilising powder carries out both functions

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I'll check. I'm sure read the two pots contents correctly.

Comment

Just checked. The tubs definitely say Campden tablets are Sodium Metabisulphate E223, whereas Stabilising powder is Potassium Sorbate E202.

I guess I'll continue to use both for final racking

Comment

Interesting...

At least they gave the info on the label

my mistake re sodium v potassium metabisulphite in campdent tabs (live and learn)

but using both is the way to go

Who was the supplier of the campden tablets?
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Interesting...

At least they gave the info on the label

my mistake re sodium v potassium metabisulphite in campdent tabs (live and learn)

but using both is the way to go

Who was the supplier of the campden tablets?
            They are both Youngs

Comment

In Canada, at least, campden tablets can be either potassium or sodium metabisulphite. The potassium is more common (at least in my experience). Many people over here prefer potassium metabisulphite powder (aka K-meta) over Na-meta. Commercial operations are not allowed to use Na-meta.

'Stabilizing powder' can be anything . Over here, it is usually potassium sorbate. However, at least one kit company provides a K-meta/K-sorbate mix.

The question not addressed here is how are they used. Kieron said that "they both seem to perform much the same purpose". That's not true.

K-meta or Na-meta serve a couple of different purposes. They are added pre-fermentation to stun any wild yeasts before wine yeast is added. They are used post-fermentation to stun the wine yeast and serve as an anti-oxidant. They are also used to sanitize equipment.

K-sorbate stops yeast from reproducing, but will not do enough to a vigourous yeast colony.

The two are usually used together post-fermentation.

Note that neither "kills yeast".

Steve
              the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
              "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Equally, Na-meta is less forgiving if you mess up and over do it. More likely to give a metallic/salt off flavour.

Seems the pro's are more likely to use K-meta despite higher cost and harder to locate (vigo sell it, think its sold as "kadifit" or something like that).....
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  Equally, Na-meta is less forgiving if you mess up and over do it. More likely to give a metallic/salt off flavour.

Seems the pro's are more likely to use K-meta despite higher cost and harder to locate (vigo sell it, think its sold as "kadifit" or something like that).....
                  So, I need to be careful with the campden tablets then.

P.s. I have used them together in my latest racking.

Comment

Working...
                  X