Xmas pud wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xmas pud wine

Hi all. I'm 24 hours into making this as per Duffbeer's recipe and I have a question. I'm ready to increase SG to the target of 1.130 and wondering the best method of adding the sugar. I have approx 7litres in the fermenter, of which there is obviously a shed load of solids. To feed this with sugar, do I dissolve or invert the sugar in water or do I strain off some of the existing must, gently heat and dissolve sugar, adding it back to the must before rechecking SG?

I guess I'm getting confused because, I'm thinking that when it comes to racking, I want to ensure there is sufficient liquid to make a full gallon (therefore the inverting in water method seems right) but I don't want to over dilute the must (for obvious reasons), which makes the straining off the existing liquid and dissolving the sugar this way also seem right. Hmmm....I'd be grateful if one of the more experienced brewers could assist me. Thanks

Hi I just started one of these on Saturday and you're right with disolving the sugar in water. I found my pudding lack sugar so I had to add 1 1/2 lb/gallon to get the Sg to 1080 to get the starting SG and another 1lb and 4oz/gallon to get it to SG1130 after 24 hours so with all this extra sugar/water I have over a gallon and a third or so. I did triple the recipe and have just over 4 and a half gallons so plenty to allow for racking etc. Remember you will need to sweeting this at the end of fermentation process so again you will be adding sugar/water i think you could find that you will have more than enough to get 6 full bottles. PS don't forget to let the sugar water mixture cool down to 21c.
    Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

I made Xmas Pud Wine a couple of years ago, for a wine competition, Taste and Tell, not body guessed what it was made of, but it went down very well because a number of members ask me for the recipe.
      Adding sugar, the only time I add sugar syrup is when the wine is nearly finished or is finished.
      I have been making wine for 20 odd years and have always just but the sugar in the bucket to start the fermentation or in the DJ and give it a good shake.
      When I do make sugar syrup I put sugar in a pint jug, ¾ full then add water to cover the sugar by about ½ inch microwave until the syrup is clear, let it cool down, then add to wine.

Old un

Comment

Well my Christmas pudding wine has just been bottled. It tastes mighty fine and it doesn't have a taste of Christmas pudding in fact the spices that i would have expected to have come through from the pudding such as ginger and cinnamon are very subtle indeed in fact only knowing what it is made from and gearing up to identify these spices allows you to find them. Most people would miss them bit like chocolate in chilli you know when it’s not there but you can’t taste the chocolate when it is. Sorry to say that after all the racking from the 4 gallons I started with I was left with three and a half. Well it’s off up to the cellar until Christmas. I did a second run from the initial racking off added left over mince and dried fruit from Christmas baking and that too has turned out very well and here’s the rub it’s like chilli with out the chocolate nice but something missing. So to get over this I’ve part sweetened with honey (two jars in 3 gallons) this has given it a nice warm nose and I’ve added some citric acid to lift it a bit as it was rather dull and lifeless on the tongue. If I find Lidl selling off their puddings next year I’ll certainly do it again.
        Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

Is anyone still making this?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
          X