Wine number 1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
    Are you asking about the finning agent that smells like bad eggs or is it your wine?
    I racked the wine twice and then bottled it. However a week later I poured out a glass but the wine left in the bottle had loads of very small bits floating in it. The wine itself tasted very bitter - almost acidic to more accurate)

I think I'll chalk this one up to experience and have another go and hopefuly I'd have learned by my mistakes.

Thanks everyone for the advice, this is a very helpful place to come for a returning newbie like myself.
    Simon

Comment

Are you sure there isnt a vinegar taste.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Hi,
        I think I may have found my problem but need someone to clarify please?

In the ingredients list for wine number 1 it asks for 1 1/2 pounds of sugar. I read this as 'one half pound' of sugar - should it be read as 'one and a half pounds' of sugar?
        The reason I ask is that I started a new wine number 1 yesterday with a half pound of dissolved sugar which when combined with my pressed grape juice and apple juice and water gave me a specific gravity of 0.5 instead of the 1.050 I was expecting.

Should I be using a greater amount of sugar?
        Cheers,
        Simon

Comment

One and a half pounds of sugar or if you have gone metric pprox 700g
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi,
            I cant believe wine number 1 is taking me so long to master - but it's fun trying!

I'm on my next batch and every one so far has needed to be de-gassed as it's appeared cloudy - until today. The wine I have sat in front of me in the demijohn after 4 weeks and just 2 rackings is crystal clear.
            My question is, do I still need to degass it? ie is degassing a necessity to stop the wine from building up too much pressure when bottled perhaps, or can I just leave it for another week or so and bottle it as it is?

Happy Christmas to everyone by the way! My neighbours are very envious of me not having to buy my own wine, so thanks in particular to Mr Lockwood for that one

Comment

Degassing is NOT a necessity to stop the wine from building up too much pressure when bottled. It is trapped carbon dioxide leftover from the primary fermentation.
              Popping bottle corks (pressure buildup in wine bottles), is (typically) due to yeast continuing to work on fermentable sugars. This is avoided by either fermenting to dry or using a yeast 'stopper'.

So why degas then .........
              Carbon dioxide does have a particular taste. It is about balance. Too much dissolved carbon dioxide will give a sharp harsh finish, too little carbon dioxide and the wine might appear flabby, perhaps lacking a little zing. 800 mg/L is what the commercial chaps aim for. ..... personally I think that's too hard to measure.

Trust your taste buds. If you like it - it's fine. Do it gradually.....Taste it - perhaps degas a little - and taste again.

Degassing quick wines or kit wines seems to be quite a normal part of the process. Grape wines and commercial wines are often degassed naturally by seasonal variations.

This is quite a popular subject - I think some other replies will be along soon.

Merry Christmas everyone !
              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 22-12-2014, 01:22 PM. Reason: Removed *$%^ voice recognition rubbish !
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Hello All

I have been making No 1 fro some years now as my base wine and never had a problem.

However I am fermenting a batch now and it's stuck at 1.010 and always sails down to .995 no problems.

As I have not seen a bubble in the lock for several days I presume I have a stuck fermentation.

Do I just pitch another lot of yeast? K1-V or do I make a starter from the existing stuck juice?

Malcolm
                Malc

Comment

You could try this....

Get a k1-V going in a separate vessel.
                  I would then add your stuck fermentation to it a little at a time (Not more than 50%).
                  Wait until that is well underway and repeat until all of the stuck fermentation is gone.

Comment

Working...
                  X