Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine number 1 question

Hi,
    After being out of the country for a few years I've returned home and found my old login for your excellent website, so I thought I'd retry making wine number 1.

Well, it all looks good in that I've got to the stage where in the tutorial the maker's wine is cloudy so he degasses it. However, mine is crystal clear at the moment. Does this mean I don't need to degass and can just wait another 2 weeks and rack/bottle it?

Simon

Welcome back

It'll still have gas in it, so if it's that clear, I'd rack it off any lees, then degass and let it sit for a a week or two to settle before bottling.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the welcome

Ok I'll degass the wine tonight before the football.....or maybe after it because if we lose then I'll be able to take my frustrations out on shaking the demijohn!

Do you have any tips on degassing without losing some of the wine though please?
      When I last degassed I found that every time I let my hand off the opening to let air escape, some of the wine forced it's way out with it. So I tried degassing using a cloth over the end but this just got soaked through with wine too leading to me losing some more.
      Simon

Comment

you could bung the DJ then shake a few times, then gently release the bung/pressure.

Comment

Rack it into two DJ's so you have plenty of headspace. And make sure the wine is warm enough - it's much easier to get the gas out at 25C (probably not a problem this week!).
          I put a VacuVin stopper on mine and pump out a good vacuum before shaking, and again after each good shake.
          Cheers,
          Dave.
          If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
          But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Hi, thanks for the tips.
            I degassed the wine and the wine became cloudy so this afternoon I added some wine finings from Wilkinsons.

However after adding the contents from sachet A, waiting for an hour and adding the contents of sachet B and stirring well , I read the labels properly to find I'd added enough for 5 gallons of wine rather than the 1 gallon I've been making.
            Does this mean I've ruined the wine? ie will it be dangerous to drink it with so much fining liquid in it now?

Cheers
            Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Clank007 View Post
              Hi, thanks for the tips.
              I degassed the wine and the wine became cloudy so this afternoon I added some wine finings from Wilkinsons.

However after adding the contents from sachet A, waiting for an hour and adding the contents of sachet B and stirring well , I read the labels properly to find I'd added enough for 5 gallons of wine rather than the 1 gallon I've been making.
              Does this mean I've ruined the wine? ie will it be dangerous to drink it with so much fining liquid in it now?

Cheers
              Simon
              You will be just fine Simon. The two parts will marry together and become a gel like substance and settle out on the bottom.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Well I racked/added finings to my #1 wine and it smells of bad eggs. It it sat in another DJ currently in the fining phase. Anyone else get this? Does it disappear?

Comment

Are you asking about the finning agent that smells like bad eggs or is it your wine?

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                    Are you asking about the finning agent that smells like bad eggs or is it your wine?
                    seems to be the wine

Comment

silly me just realised I posted on the wrong thread! Sorry!

Comment

No problem. You need to do a splash racking it may take a couple splash racks to get enough oxygen in your wine to rid of the rotten egg smell start racking your wine and make sure that it splashes into the demijohn. If this does not work then you can give the wine a good stirring with a copper rod.

Comment

OK thanks - I have currently racked it to a DJ and it is fining/clearing. Can I then do a couple of splash racks on the same day once it has fined?

Comment

If it still smells then I would follow RJB222s instructions right away - don't wait until it has finished clearing.

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                            OK thanks - I have currently racked it to a DJ and it is fining/clearing. Can I then do a couple of splash racks on the same day once it has fined?
                            Simon
                            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

OK I'll re-rack tomorrow when I've got a min. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X