Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I control storage of wine in high temp part of the country

Hello all,
    Living in Southern California, USA during the summer, which seems to last forever is not going to be easy but I am adapting.
    I know I can keep the primary at a constant temp within five degrees. Secondary is also a can do.

Aging or letting it stay in a carboy for more than three months at a low temp, especially for various white wines (what I have read) is going to be a bit trickier.

One option is to wait for the temps in my area to cool down by about 20 degrees since it is pretty much in the high 80's and low 90's for many months off and on. This would mean making a white wine like a Riesling during November when the temps will drop and stay a lot cooler until next April. Does that sound like an option.

Second, if I make a kit, since they are made with a bit more leeway than I would have with a bucket of wine grapes , is that a bit more feasible?

What do you think?

Third is storage. I am looking around my house for a constant cooler area which is dark, little vibration .

I would buy another fridge but we already have two and a small freezer which are pretty full most of the time(long story). our Elec bills during summer are nasty high and that is just to keep things in the low 80's. I know...whine ..whine.

But for the meantime, any idea of what I could do and what temp( 70- 75 max ?)would be acceptable for long term storage.

Thank You,
    Dodger

Well I'm not the person to suggest an answer dodger, but it's amazing at the issues we face, depending on our location.

Personally, I'm a little envious because you can get some wicked fresh grape varieties......

Maybe it's feasible to have a small storage area somewhere that you could insulate/AC so the cost of running could be kept down ? Something like that ?
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Hi fatbloke,
      thank you for the quick reply. I think we are both on the same page and I am looking at options. you are right about the fresh grape varieties. they do get bought up real quick. I am going up to the Santa Barbara county area and there are over 100 wineries up there since it is also considered the central coast area. when I grew up as a wee sapling, we would go up around the Santa Barbara area to go camping but there were not too many vineyards around. We are talking the late 50's...how things have changed!

Thank you so much. If anyone else has any input this Yank will be glad to read and take notes.
      Dodger
      I am glad to be a part of this forum cause where on the US wine forums would you find a name such as fatbloke.

Comment

A coupe of ideas immediately spring to mind.

Underground, under the house or under the stairs.

If those fail and depending on the size is you were looking for. I have been thoroughly impressed by old walk in refrigeration rooms. You buy them by the panel and connect them together. You do not use (or buy) the refrigerator plant. You can combine this with night venting ( turning on a fan at night to trap free cool air).

Long-term wine storage is more about controlling rapid change than it is the highs and lows. So an old insulated walk in fridge in a shading spot, on a concrete base might be the thing..
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks, those are all good ideas. I do wish my house had a caller, basement or a crawl space. My house is on a slab of concrete since it is in a slightly hilly area but I am taking all your suggestions into consideration and also looking to buy a wine fridge that does not cause our electric bill in California during the summer to go through the roof.
          Dodger

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Dodger.

Let me ask you this... do you have a pool? A friend of mine partially submerges his fermenting carboys of whites into his swimming pool. It works well. The temperature is relatively cool and stable, and it's free from vibrations.
            Steve

Comment

I have a question - what sort of volumes are we talking about?
              A few DJ;s - 1/2 dozen 10 gallon jars - 100's litres in SS tanks ??
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Sorry no pool
                This new hobby is slowly overtaking all my others.
                By the end of November, I will probably have 15 gallons(45litres) in secondary carboys( half white, half red) and another 60 750 ml bottles I am trying to keep at a temperature that is within reason. I just bought a wine fridge(bless my wife) , one of my sons just bought a bigger fridge and has given me his old dorm fridge, I have a portable AC in my computer( my wife does not like using the AC since the bills get so high) room which should help and a relative says I can borrow her extra fridge in her garage. She just have to move the beer in there. Does that sound like a plan? And maybe I should make some of the white wine during our so-called-winter-months, not to mention give a lot away to folks . Does that sound like a plan? Possibly insane but a plan?

Dodger(happy face!)
                Last edited by dodger; 26-07-2014, 11:08 PM.

Comment

To be honest, all these fridges sound more expensive than an air conditioner - I know I have played this game

For long term storage stable is more important than stone cold and insulation does not need plugging in?

If you have room, I might suggest a big old chest freezer turned OFF
                  Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 24-07-2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger View Post
                    Does that sound like a plan? Possibly insane but a plan?
                    Probably not as insane as submerging carboys in a pool.
                    Steve

Comment

Big old Chest freezer tirned off. Now that is very ingenius!!
                      Dodger

Comment

Working...
                      X