Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a refractometer instead of a hydrometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a refractometer instead of a hydrometer?

Hello, just wondering if any of you use the Refractometer instead or alongside a hydrometer? I"ve got both and find using the refract easier, quicker and more tidy. I've got the spreadsheet that works out the difference you get from alcohol being in the sample and it seems to match the hydrometer every time. Mine measures in BRIX and the same sheet converts it to SG too.

Paul

I love using the refractometer

but also use hydrometer too
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I use both, but I find the refractometer handier for brewing since I don't have to cool down 200mL to take a sample.
      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
      -Police Squad

Comment

I only use a refractometer. Haven't picked up the hydrometer in years. Well, I did, but then dropped and broke it.
        Steve

Comment

I can't believe mine hasn't broken yet, not light handed with it at all.

Good to hear that people do use the refractometer, as most of the articles and books i have read always refer to a hydrometer.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marks View Post
            I can't believe mine hasn't broken yet, not light handed with it at all.

Good to hear that people do use the refractometer, as most of the articles and books i have read always refer to a hydrometer.
            Likely because once alcohol is present you have to apply a correction to the reading, ergo generally greater accuracy at all stages is probably why recipes/books etc suggest hydrometer.....
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I find it is easiest to start with a refractometer (work out sugars etc) and just check the end point with large scale Hydrometer
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
              X