Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry Juice

Hi all.
    looks like a bonanza year in Scotland for blackberries ! ( or Brambles, as we call them up here !)

So..... Bramble juice comes to mind.
    Any know how on production, storage, or usage, would be very welcome.

Thanks,
    Ian McDonald

Originally posted by Ian McDonald View Post
    Any know how on production, storage, or usage, would be very welcome.
    Lots of recipes around for Blackberry wine, see the Recipe section on here or, if you are feeling adventurous, try some of Bill Smith's "Award Winning Wines" which use a variety of fruits (many including lots of Blackberries) to produce good balanced wines. His recipes work perfectly well with 'traditional' winemaking techniques if you don't fancy trying his methods. Have a look here http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...th-experiments

Wash and freeze the blackberries and they will keep fine for months. Use them whole or get hold of a steam juicer - I can well recommend one for blackberries and elderberries (but don't use it for damsons or plums!)
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Thanks, SleepyDave.

I don't think I made myself very clear.........
      What I am really looking for is a way of extracting the Juice from the berries, about 12lbs of them, and then what to do with the juice !
      My plan is to mash up the berries and drain them through a muslin bag.
      All my fermenting vessels are full of bramble wine at the moment.
      Obviously one of my favouite tipples !
      And my freezer is stuffed with just food !

Ian.

Comment

Steam juicer is definitely the way to go if as Dave says you can get hold of one. The juice that comes out is lovely.
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Oh, I see. A non alcoholic drink. That could work! The juice from a steam juicer is excellent for smoothies and such much, and you can add sugar which would improve the keeping qualities. Then you could add vodka or brandy ....... Oh wait! Not getting my head round this non-alcohol thing!
          Cheers,
          Dave.
          If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
          But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Once you have the juice, you could bottle it and then sterilise it - stand in a saucepan and keep the core temperature at 80° C for 20 minutes.

freezing is easier, though - can I recommend vaccy bags and a cheap Bag sealer from ebay............
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Solved !

[QUOTE=Cellar_Rat;98047]Once you have the juice, you could bottle it and then sterilise it - stand in a saucepan and keep the core temperature at 80° C for 20 minutes.

freezing is easier, though - can I recommend vaccy bags and a cheap Bag sealer from ebay............[/QUOT

After much bargaining I have commandeered a full shelf in the freezer !
              Vacy bagged 13.5lbs . Now frozen solid.

Ian.

Comment

Well done !!

Frozen solid - whole or juice? (both are good)
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

solid

Frozen solid in the fast freeze dept. !

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  Well done !!

Frozen solid - whole or juice? (both are good)

Comment

Working...
                  X