Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressed white grape juice?

Hi,
    I wanted to start another gallon of the excellent wine number 1 but am having trouble finding any pressed white grape juice.
    I've visited my local Tescos, ASDA, Lidl, Sainsburys and Waitrose but none of them have any.

Is there any other type of juice I could use for wine number 1? And am I alone in having this issue or are some of you winemakers out there having the same problem?

Cheers,
    Simon

Originally posted by Clank007 View Post
    Hi,
    I wanted to start another gallon of the excellent wine number 1 but am having trouble finding any pressed white grape juice.
    I've visited my local Tescos, ASDA, Lidl, Sainsburys and Waitrose but none of them have any.

Is there any other type of juice I could use for wine number 1? And am I alone in having this issue or are some of you winemakers out there having the same problem?

Cheers,
    Simon
    Our aldi gave it up a while back now and this has been reported as a problem on other forums too. I gave up looking for it because im damned if i am chasing my tale for the sake of a carton of juice!

I am fairly and squarely resorting to using apple juice instead but have so far found that it isnt quite as acidic as the grape. 3.5l of apple juice (water to 4.5l obviously) with sugar to 1.080 seems to be the best so far but it does need a bit of age.

Suggest for a Wn1 early drinking equivalent, go for 1.5l apple in lieu of the grape, plus the 1l apple required by the recipe, then all the other additives etc... See how that comes out?

Comment

found that it isnt quite as acidic
      perhaps blend with Tempranillo
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Red grape juice is abundant in the supermarkets around here but white has long been extinct. I have been using 'reconstituted' white grape concentrate but I'm toying with the idea of producing some homemade frozen white grape juice - from white grapes.
        I did hear that someone on here (?) might have a useful supply of this!
        Cheers,
        Dave.
        If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
        But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

This is a disaster. Wine #1 is great!
          Any ideas why? Is it likely to come back?
          Are there good alternatives?
          I was just about to start 5G of blueberry #1, very disappointed.

Comment

is this something Karl (duffbeer) can supply ?
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I thought you were flirting with the idea of supplying frozen white grapes this year Brian!
              Cheers,
              Dave.
              If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
              But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Yeah I was but she just wasn't the pretty chick her internet profile suggested

Comment

I found some in a large Waitrose so stocked up. Looks like they also still sell it online

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    is this something Karl (duffbeer) can supply ?
                    Afraid not, plenty of white concentrate, but not the carton juice.

I suspect it is a Government conspiricy to prevent cheap wine production and loss of tax revenue
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thats the one. White concentrate - diluted - would be the same thing.

If you have some left over - pop bottle/milk carton - freezer - job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                        Thats the one. White concentrate - diluted - would be the same thing.

If you have some left over - pop bottle/milk carton - freezer - job done.
                        Can this be used in place of the supermarket grape juice ? is so how many cans to a gallon? what the dilution rate? If not where are you guys getting your cartons from of wgj ?

Comment

dilution rate
                          It will vary. I am guessing it will be about 65 brix.

I am sure there are ways of calculating this but here are a few ideas..

1. Dilute it according to the kit size. 1gal or 5 gal etc etc
                          2. Dilute it until your hydrometer does what you want.
                          3. Better might be - make everything else up and then add concentrate until your hydrometer does what you want. (easier to store the remainder)

Comment

Working...
                          X