Preservation/Care of Wooden Press Slats etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservation/Care of Wooden Press Slats etc

I recently bought an excellent second hand crusher which came with some other kit including an old Italian 40L ratchet press which has cetainly seen better days. The spacer blocks were quite rotten and I have replaced them. The wooden pressing plate is also in a very bad state and I'm arranging for a mate to construct a new one for me. The wooden slats of the basket look fine - apart from a few very suspicious small holes!
    My question is, what's the safest way to avoid this sort of damage and to limit further deterioration. This type of equipment has to live in my shed where it's bound to get a bit damp during our British winter. I assume that any sort of preservative is out of the question.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Oo Oo Oo I like easy ones
    Must be made of oak. Before you use it the first time paint it 2-3 lavish coats of VEGGY oil (no olive). this will preserve. I have done it.
    Oak basket goes gracefully pink through to burgandy. Hose done before and after use.
    Top up (re paint) as necessary.

Photo's are available I did this to my new press some years ago. A veggy oily rag doesn't hurt the metal work before bedtime either !
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Other than oak I use the same method as Brian. I use tung oil for preservation. Foodsafe and doesn't go mouldy. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Rustins+Tung+Oil/p65403
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Yikes thats expensive. Spry Crisp and Dry isn't that much
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

That's true - but it doesn't last as long, dry properly or rot which most of the evidence points to with most vegetable oils. I did try sunflower oil originally but got little bits of mould when the weather became damp. Tung oil drys quickly is food safe and lasts. It also stops any staining. It really is good stuff and touch wood I haven't had any issues with it at all.
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Thanks guys,
            Tung oil goes to the top of the xmas present list then. I don't suppose it can do any harm using it on the old wooden slats and it will go straight onto any new pieces I get.
            Just got those pesky little holes to worry about now. I gather that the holes mean the beetles have flown. I just don't know how many more of the grubs are worming their way around inside the rest of the wood. Nor do I know what treatment the previous owner may have used.
            I plan to keep the wood in a warm dry area until I get the tung oil on them. Then I have an idea of storing them wrapped in a plastic bag with a 'damp trap' inside.
            Cheers,
            Dave.
            If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
            But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Working...
            X