Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing problem

Hi all,
    Have been country wine making for 30 odd years on and off but have 3 gallons of really stubborn marrow wine made a year ago. Before relegating it to cooking use or drinking from opaque glasses (tastes fine but not exactly a vintage batch) I thought I'd ask here. Have already tried 2 part finings, egg white and pectic enzyme over several months but it still looks a bit like a magnolia emulsion paint brush has been rinsed out in it!
    Even borrowed a filter kit but a slow pain, and still looks 'grubby'. Thought it might be due to breaking the seed cases in food processor, but cucumber wine made in the same way is crystal clear and the plants are in the same family...
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks, Iris

Can't say for marrow wine Iris, but in the mead world, when a batch is being a swine to clear, it's often "cold crashed" for a week or two (at fridge temps, like 1 to 4C). Just depends on the container sizes etc.

Or they also like to try bentonite, which is a bit more gentle than the 2 part finings, slower, but no less effective.

Either way, I suppose it depends on what's actually causing the haze in the first place.......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks for that useful info Fatbloke. Think I will wait till winter arrives, put the corked demijohns outside in a shady place and see what happens!
      Cheers, Iris

Comment

Problem with doing that is that we can't guarantee a long enough cold spell......
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
        X