Back in the fold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the fold.

I've not been around for a while sorry about that. but I retired last Friday after 47 years. Now I can do whatever I want, I've not brewed in 6 months, the last wine I did must have been rhubarb. So back in the saddle on Sat with our new press, which we bought last year and never got around to using it until now.

We have the grapes off a friends vine up on the allotment, we did last year the outcome was not great to be honest. Fingers crossed I do better this time.

Well don't forget, if the grape juice isn't brilliant, you can always use some honey for a pyment (mead made with grape juice).

Then depending on how it's made and finished, you can back sweeten with some honey and grape juice for a fruitier flavour.......

Welcome back and good luck with the retirement (slightly jealous of the press)......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Hi Fatbloke

Never made mead, maybe a good time to try it, what would I have to do?. I have to back sweeten most of what I make, as the Memsahib and I don't like our drinks too dry.

Thanks for the welcome back, and the retirement was a long time coming, I'm now going to enjoy all I can. I've already been up the allotment this morning digging spuds.

The press was a present to ourselves last year why we had the money, it's the dogs doo-dars compared to the old screw type we had...can't wait for all the free fruit around the lanes where we live next year...apples,plums,damsons.

Comment

Next year ?? there are still apples for the picking around here. But I would give the spuds a miss - very difficult to clear, spud wine

Welcome back.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          But I would give the spuds a miss - very difficult to clear, spud wine
          LoL
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Next year ?? there are still apples for the picking around here. But I would give the spuds a miss - very difficult to clear, spud wine

Welcome back.
            There are a couple of trees I've seen nearby....but I'm thinking about sorting a scratter ready for next years crop. I can remember the old folks did potato wine...may just try a gall for old times sake and see what happens...watch this space.

Comment

Might be worth just freezing them. Forget the scratter. Just freeze to rock had. thaw 100% and then press.

Hmm would it work with some spuds :-)
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

After a quick check it seems I have at least 3 potato recipes - the pages just after parsnip wines (now theres a clue !!)
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 31-10-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Might be worth just freezing them. Forget the scratter. Just freeze to rock had. thaw 100% and then press. :-)
                  Would love to collect and freeze...only one problem no room in any of our freezers. The spud wine may have legs as we have plenty from the allotment, maybe next week knock up a gall just to see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X