Sinking Sulphite Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinking Sulphite Solution

I was looking at this website at the weekend http://www.accuvin.com/Monitoring%20...Winemaking.pdf and came across this inerestin comment (my emphasis):

"Remember that SO2 tends not to mix, but stays where it is added in juice or remains in a layer near the
    bottom in wine
    . Always stir thoroughly, then stir again the next day."

I have usually added sulphite when racking and put it in the bottom of the receiving container so that it gets well mixed in as the wine is syphoned into it - but I've never thought to give it another stir the following day. Also, I'm sure I've seen comments in Bill Smiths recipes recommending floating the sulphite solution on top of a wine.

Anyone got any thoughts on the phenomenen of the sinking sulphite. I can imagine that a sulphite solution will normally have a higher SG than finished dry wine but I would have expected the free SO2 to circulate fairly well.

The immediate problem I have is two 54L carboys which have just about finished MLF and I want to add sulphite but I have got them boxed into a well insulated alcove where stirring ain't gonna happen. I have less than four inches clearance above them and was simply planning to syphon in the sulphite through a silicone tube and then leave them undisturbed for the winter. Now I'm thinking I may need to set up a pump to circulate the wine around until it is well mixed.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Whale pump !!

Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Yeah, that's the plan. But I normally use mine attached to a rod so I can get it to the bottom OK. But that ain't gonna work where those carboys are. I'm thinking of putting the sulphite in another container and pumping the wine from the carboy into that - then maybe a syphon return. All sounds far too fiddly for me!
      Do you think I could get away with just chucking in a dollop of sulphite solution? Perhaps if I warmed it, it would float? Any idea what temp I would need to get it to for it to have a lower SG than the (cold) wine?
      Cheers,
      Dave.

Comment

Remove rod. Slide pump in the top. Pump out 2 separate litres.
        First litre mix with Sulphite & pump back in - keep second litre out.

NOW put the out tube just inside the neck turn the pump on a it will circulate.

Remove pump. Return second litre - its purpose was to give you enough room to move !!.
        Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 10-12-2014, 07:44 AM.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Cleverrrr!!!
          Cheers,
          Dave.

Comment

nah - done it before - I too used to store carboys under a table.

Comment

Working...
            X