Something gone wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something gone wrong?

I have had a go at a wine, but I think something is wrong with it?

In it is about 3lbs of carrots and 6 lbs of beetroot boiled until well-cooked, then the water they were cooked in was put in a DJ with a Lt of red grape juice from Lidl and brown sugar.

It started fermenting well, and after a few days it stopped, so I added more sugar, but it did not start again, I left it a week or more then added more yeast, and it went mad. To stop it coming out the air lock I had to remove some 2 and half inches of juice. [This made it about 4 inches from the bottom of the neck of the DJ]

It has now stopped working again, I cannot test the sg because the contents are too thick, [the float stayed at the bottom it does not float. It sticks to the sides of the jar I put the juice it to test it, but it does not taste sweet.

Old-un

It has probably finished fermenting, especially if it doesn't taste sweet. How long did the second period of fermentation last? And was it somewhere warm during this time?
    I would leave it somewhere cool for a few days, then rack it and top up.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back to me

The second fermentation was about a week, and it was kept under a towel radiator in the bathroom, the bottom part was about the bottom of the neck of the DJ.
      I always kept my brews there.

I have made wine for about 20 years, but never had one go like this, thick and sticky all must like a thin glue but not sweet.

Old-un

Comment

Hi Oliver

See PM I think I may have sent it twice, have not used PM before

Old-un

Comment

Have you used this recipe before or anything like it? Vegetables are not the easiest things to make wine from and too much boiling can have 'undesired effects' on them.
          Cheers,
          Dave.

Comment

Yes, the recipe was for beetroot wine, but I had not got the full amount of beetroot so I made it up with carrots that is the only difference

Old-un

Comment

I'd give it a bit of time in a cool place. Hopefully, most of the mushy stuff will settle out. If not, after a couple of weeks, try some finings. I would'nt want to leave the wine on the solids too long as they could impart off flavours.
              Cheers,
              Dave.

Comment

Hi Old-un,

Does the wine look oily? Consistency of runny honey or egg white? I think in any case I would rack it into a sanitised container, add 100ppm sulfite and aerate like crazy for a couple of days. Do you have a filter? If so, after a couple of days filter it.

Good luck.
                Simon
                Simon
                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Simon,

What are you thinking it is? I have to say I am baffled.
                  Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 29-01-2015, 02:09 PM.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks chaps for getting back to

I have never seen anything like this, the thing I don’t understand is, I cannot test the sg because the contents are too thick, [the float stayed at the bottom it does not float. It sticks to the sides of the jar I put the juice it to test it, but it does not taste sweet.

Yes I would say like an egg white or may be thin glue but not oily, you say add 100ppm sulfite I have never come across this before, I have used Wine Stabiliser and Campden tablets.

It as stop fermenting now about two weeks ago and show not sign of settlement at the bottom, at the moment there is no way it will go through a filter its to thick.

Like you Cellar Rat I am baffled.

Old-un

Comment

Originally posted by Old-un View Post
                      Like you Cellar Rat I am baffled.
                      Old-un
                      Its rare but I am thinking it is an infection called ropiness. See below care of Jack Keller:
                      "Oiliness or Ropiness: The wine develops an oily look with rope- like treads or strings appearing within it. It pours slowly and thickly with a consistency similar to egg whites, but neither its smell nor taste are effected. The culprit is a lactic acid bacterium and is only fatal to the wine if left untreated. Pour the wine into an open container with greater volume than required. Use an egg whip to beat the wine into a frothiness. Add two crushed Campden tablets per gallon of wine and stir these in with the egg whip. Cover with a sterile cloth and stir the wine every hour or so for about four hours. Return it to a sterile secondary and fit the airlock. After two days, run the wine through a wine filter and return it to another sterile secondary. Again, this problem, like most, can be prevented by pre- treating the must with Campden and sterilizing your equipment scrupulously."

Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Old un,

I am thinking this is some sort of enzyme. Is it perhaps pectin related?

I think what you are describing is something akin to thin ketchup?
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Good point. I sort of discounted that a bit based on veggies rather than fruits (didnt sound like starch) but just checking apparently carrots are quite high in pectin. Could try pectin cure too. See same Jack Keller page.
                          Simon

Comment

Hi Both

Simon yes that sounds like it "It pours slowly and thickly with a consistency similar to egg whites"

"but neither its smell nor taste are effected." that is right, but it is a very dark brown colour.

"sterilizing your equipment" I use Young's Steriliser & Cleaner

I do not use Campden tablets pre-treating the must, I have tried this before, once I had a job to get the must to start to ferment and when it was finished it did not taste right, the second time I could not get it to start at all and it went down the sink

“but just checking apparently carrots are quite high in pectin.” Well with the fact that all of the 1 Kg of dark brown sugar, and some white sugar as gone, it should be ready to stop it fermenting how about this.

Add the 2 crushed campden tablets, 1 teaspoon wine stabilier, 2 teaspoons of pectolase per gallon of wine and stir these in with the egg whip. Cover with a sterile cloth and stir the wine every hour or so for about four hours. Return it to a sterile secondary and fit the airlock. After two days, run the wine through a wine filter and return it to another sterile secondary.

Old-un

P.S. I have just been ask by my wife where is my Half Spoon Sugar gone, it must have been some of the white sugar I put in? ?

Comment

I add the 2 crushed campden tablets, 1 teaspoon wine stabilizer, 2 teaspoons of pectolase per gallon of wine and stir these in with the egg whip. Cover with a sterile cloth and stir the wine every hour or so for about four hours. Return it to a sterile secondary and fit the airlock.

The wine in a lot thinner, but I think it is still to thick for a filter, so I have put in Clear it in to see if that does any thing

Old-un

Comment

Working...
                              X