Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with airlock

Hi there
    I've got 4 carboys bulk aging at the moment and have filled them to an inch from the top. 3 of them are fine, but one is drawing the water from the airlock back into the wine, and I'm having to keep an eye on it to top it up. Does anyone have any idea why that would be happening?

Regards
    Daview

What's happening maybe, why it's happening don't know.

Pressure inside is lower than outside causing the suction. Whereas normally it's the other way round.

The only thing that comes to mind would be if the liquid is cooler than ambient temperatures. So something like keep it somewhere a tad warmer ? give it a few hours to equalise and then see if it's still doing it ?

No idea whether that's correct other than from rather distant school physics and chem lessons........
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

A proper airlock correctly filled, should not draw water back into the wine.

So I would venture.
      A. You are over filling it - You only need enough to keep the air out - there MUST BE enough room for the fluid to come up the other side when, under negative pressure.
      B. It is evaporating (doubtful if the others are not doing it)
      C: it is a poor design if it allows this to happen?

Thoughts?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

+1 Brian and John

I can understand an airlock drawing back air through it due to pressure variation but unlikely the fluid. Is this a glass carboy or a plastic one? When you move/pick up/squeeze the plastic ones this can cause air to be pulled back through (and if you have filled the airlock up too much, fluid too). What sort of airlock and an idea of the temperatures/storage location of the carboy may help. Also how much water are you losing through the airlock.

Any chance of a pic?
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Problem with airlock

Thanks for the response
          I have been watching what is happening. I'm filling up the airlock with water, which, when replaced starts to push the water up to the top of the airlock, but the next day the water level has gone down and you can see water in the airlock as it enters the rubber bung. The airlock is the bog standard type and the wine is a kit Chardonnay, which I have another 3 sitting beside it. It's in a cool dark shed and it's only taken about 2 weeks for the airlock to empty of water. All the carboys are glass.
          Although the wine has been sulphited, I'm a bit worried that dragging the water that has been in the airlock, will bring bacteria into the batch. If I lose it, hey ho, but would like to learn why. All thoughts appreciated.
          I only left an inch of headspace, but I've done the same with the rest and no problem.
          Regards
          Daview

Comment

There are many types of airlock - one mans bog std etc etc.

Can you do a pic of the airlock when you have filled it please.

Is the temp in the room going up and down?

PS I am fascinated by this and would like to solve it.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Yep, pic would be good. If this is happening a lot, whilst we try and solve it, why not replace the water with cheap vodka that way you are less likely to do any harm to the wine (apart from extremely mild fortification)
              Last edited by SiSandrine; 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM. Reason: Typo
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Problem with airlock

I'm away from my computer at the moment, but will try to send pics shortly.

Daview

Comment

You could always get some of those waterless bungs, which would allow any excess internal pressure to vent, but not allow anything back the other way - I'd doubt that there'd be enough vacuum generated internally to cause an issue.......
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

problem with airlock

Hi there
                    thanks for bearing with me, Im a bit of a technophob aqnd have stuggled to get the photos to send, fingers crossed......
                    I dont know how much help they will provide. The airlock shows about a 24hr period between each photo, from water to nothing and also the setup. There is no disernable changes in temp, cool and dark. I racked the wine on 2Aug, and have had to refill the airlock 5 times. To all you Sherlock's out there, best of luck.

Regards
                    Daviewimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Technically the airlock only requires enough water to create a barrier. That means the bottom U bend needs filling.

We all tend to put a little more than that in. Perhaps one bubble full (one side).

Any more than that could cause this scenario.

Alternatively, you could try a small amount of olive oil instead of water- the additional viscosity will stop it being thrown into the wine.

You could also try vodka instead of water. Thinking.. if this does end up in the wine. It is likely to be more sanitary than the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                        Technically the airlock only requires enough water to create a barrier. That means the bottom U bend needs filling.

We all tend to put a little more than that in. Perhaps one bubble full (one side).

Any more than that could cause this scenario.

Alternatively, you could try a small amount of olive oil instead of water- the additional viscosity will stop it being thrown into the wine.

You could also try vodka instead of water. Thinking.. if this does end up in the wine. It is likely to be more sanitary than the water.
                        Or just, as Brian said, just fill the tube part, then there's not enough to move past the bubble shaped part - and you can always drop a half or quarter of a campden tablet in.

Vodka works as pointed out, but it evaporates quicker.

If it's all at the ageing stage, then you can also use glycerine or glycerine/water mix if you're worried about it being too viscous......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Problem with airlock

Thanks for all your thoughts
                          May go down the vodka route, or may just bottle it up to reduce the chance of spoiling

Regards
                          Daview

Comment

Working...
                          X