Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural fermentation

Hi everyone Im a new member and would appreciate your experienced views
    I have been making wine with my Italian father for a number of years with good success without adding any yeast relying on natural yeast - results have been a nice pleasant table wine - how would you convert me to using bought yeast - what if any would be the benefits and how do you use it.
    I have 56 Montepulciano cases 7kg and 6 moscato grapes coming next week.
    I would like to try and make some white wine but every time I try adopting the same method as red it is always a disappointing bitter sour drink any advice .
    Thanks Peter Mac

Originally posted by Peter Mac View Post
    Hi everyone Im a new member and would appreciate your experienced views
    I have been making wine with my Italian father for a number of years with good success without adding any yeast relying on natural yeast - results have been a nice pleasant table wine - how would you convert me to using bought yeast - what if any would be the benefits and how do you use it.
    I have 56 Montepulciano cases 7kg and 6 moscato grapes coming next week.
    I would like to try and make some white wine but every time I try adopting the same method as red it is always a disappointing bitter sour drink any advice .
    Thanks Peter Mac
    If your grapes were grown in the original location i.e. where the Monte comes from and not just the variety but grown elsewhere, then they should indeed have some of the natural, regional yeasts on them (the grapes we get for grapefest can be from all sorts of places according to variety, but aren't necessarily grown there).

All cultivatated yeast originate somewhere. Equally they have specific properties and while they generally suit the grapes grown in the location of origin, those very properties can be used to affect the taste, aroma, mouth feel, etc of the grapes being used by you.

The biggest problem, is that if you use Lallemand (branded as Lalvin) yeast packs, they only pack about 6 strains of yeast in home brew sized packs. Whereas they can supply a huge range of different strains but generally available in commercial sized packs (home brew packs are 5 grammes usually, commercial sized packs can be from about 100 grammes up generally in 500 gramme packs).

If you looked at all the different strains available and your choice isn't a homebrew strain, you'd likely have to mail order from the States as they have a few suppliers who repackage commercial sized packs into home brew sized packs.

Additionally, the use of cultivated strains allows you considerably greater control over the making process, from flavours to aroma and other properties. Relying on the natural yeast strains will work but you've no guarantee of how well the resulting wine will come out. Wild yeasts are very hit and miss.......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks for your reply - if I were to get a yeast can you suggest an appropriate one - also on 56 case how much would I need to buy

Comment

would Lalvin K1V-1116 do the job?
        Also would I put it in as soon as grapes are crushed?

Comment

Lalvin K1V-1116 Would do the job.
          You also need to consider that this year has been a vintage sugars are very high. If you rely on wild yeasts you will end up with a sweet wine.
          As well as yeast think about potassium metabisulphite, when the wine is finished.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks cellar_rat
            where would you recommend buying it from mail order as my grapes arrive Wednesday ?
            - how much for my quantities? -
            when do I put it in? -
            do you have have the must at a certain temperature?
            What is it - and how do I use it - and what quantities

Cheers

Comment

If you have a Home Brew shop near you..

or better http://www.hobbywinesupplies.co.uk/ (Karl) is very good. Mention you need it sooon and I am sure he will help.

5g per 20l is the good gauge. 60g in 100l is ideal.

Crush em and get them to 20c (quickly - hours not days) then pitch yeast.

Amazon have this for £2 - yes £2 - brilliant book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

The Way to Make Wine: How to Craft Superb Table Wines at Home Paperback – 8 Sep 2006
              by Sheridan Warrick (Author)
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice
                Cheers

Comment

Hi Peter and welcome aboard
                  I have moved this thread to the general wine making section where it will likely get more views.

From the grapefest thread some winemaking timelines for Red and White wines.

White wine:

Red wine:
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                  X