Peach Nectar... Gravity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peach Nectar... Gravity?

Hey I just bought like 3 gallons of something called peach nectar and plan on making wine out of it! The ingrediants are: Water, peach puree, liquid invert sugar, citric acid, natural flavor, ascorbic acid!

How should I ajust the starting gravity to? Also should I still add acid blend since it has the citric and ascorbic added alread?

Also what gravity should I be shooting for, for a "normal" wine?
    I assume that I still need to use the pectic enzyme....

How about tannins?? The recipe I saw for canned peaches didnt call for them.... WHY? Should I add a little?

Thanx guys!
    TOny

Tony;

I have bad news for you. The ascorbic acid included in this product acts as a bacterial inhibitor. It also acts to inhibit the growth of yeast.

You may have to do some fancy footwork to get this to ferment at all.

If you decide to try it, then shoot for an opening gravity of about 1.070 to 1.075.

You will likely need to adjust the acid. Pectic enzyme would be appropriate to assist in clearing.

I would consider adding 1/8 tsp of tannin for each gallon of must.

Pat

Comment

Try boiling the juice for about 15mins to drive of the preservative. Let it cool and then proceed as normal. I did this with a bottle of Ribena and it turned out fine.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I would make a yeast starter and add some must slowly. I don't think you will have alot of problems getting it started. I have fermented juices containing ascorbic acid and never thought much of it. Actually, I am slightly embarrassed to say I thought it was something good! Maybe you should leave out campden tablets or sulphite in the must and wait to add it at stabilizing.
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Now that I investigate further, I reckon my memory was serving me well to begin with. I almost posted it is only vitamin C, then thought I had better investigate further. I don't think there is any reason to worry about having ascorbic acid in the must. I have added it at bottling time to help prevent oxidation.

Dictionary.com
          a·scor·bic ac·id /əˈskɔrbɪk/ [uh-skawr-bik]
          –noun Biochemistry. a white, crystalline, water-soluble vitamin, C6H8O6, occurring naturally in citrus fruits, green vegetables, etc., and often produced synthetically, essential for normal metabolism: used in the prevention and treatment of scurvy, and in wound-healing and tissue repair.

Also called antiscorbutic acid, vitamin C.

Dictionary.com
          a·scor·bic acid (ə-skôr'bĭk)
          n. A white, crystalline vitamin, C6H8O6, found in citrus fruits, tomatoes, potatoes, and leafy green vegetables and used to prevent scurvy. Also called vitamin C.

WordNet - ascorbic acid

noun
          a vitamin found in fresh fruits (especially citrus fruits) and vegetables; prevents scurvy [syn: vitamin C]

I hope this helps.
          Last edited by Hippie; 21-12-2006, 11:05 AM.
          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Thats what I thought that it was vitamin C. Which, I didnt think was for preservatives, but for the "tang" of it! ?? I dont know, Im still very new!
            But either way.

I dont have an acid test kit so how would I know how much acid to add? Any ball park suggestions? Also, I add the pectin enzyme NOW before the yeast right? THEN, let it ferment?

I am also going to add some tinned peaches to this to bring it up to the 5 gallon mark.

I have a choice of 2 yeasts too.... Cote des blanc and piesporter. My local brew store said that these are the two I should try to use. Will it matter much which one to use?

Comment

Do you plan to finish this wine dry? or sweetened? It may sound backwards, but ferment this before you do the acid adjustment, then use only tartaric acid for the adjustment. Excess tartaric is easier to remove than the other acids commonly used in winemaking.

Add the pectic enzyme before fermenting.

I would try the Cotes de Blanc yeast rather than the piesporter. Or Lalvin 1122 or 1116 yeast for this.

Pat

Comment

I've fermented mango nectar. It's in bulk aging right now. It had absorbic acid in it too, but there were no problems with getting her to start. I pitched narbonne yeast and just sprinkled it on top. The temp back then was in the 70s down in the basement though. Somewhere in here I posted a picture. I need to check it.

Comment

Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is an antioxidant. A good thing for wine, but not neccessarily until after fermentation. Maybe it will keep color in certain juices until fermentation gets going well.

Lalvin K-V1116 is good for peach wine. I used it in my best to date.

Yes, add all ingredients including pectic enzyme, but not sulphite or sorbate, and stir very well. Stir very well again in 12 hours and then introduce your starter.
                  REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

I am making a 5 gallon batch so I added 1/4 tsp of liquid pectic enzyme. Thats what it said to add to a 5 gallon batch on the bottle of enzyme.

I added only 1/2 tsp of grape tannin and 1/2 tsp of acid blend

Also I added 4 tsp of yeast nutrient.

I know i was supposed to add more of the acid blend but I was scared because of the addition of the acids to the juice already! The recipe I was looking at for peach wine didnt have any tannin called for, but I put that small amount in anyway. Hope thats ok

Lastly I added a little bit of pear nector too! As well as the canned peaches and peach nector the water and obviously sugar! (I only needed about 5 lbs of sugar to get my gravity up to 1.090 and only used about 1.5 to 2 gals of water to level off my 5 gallons!)

I have not decided yet to make this sweet or dry! Perhaps half a batch of each? Im not sure yet...

Well, wish me luck on my first wine... I just added the yeast starter and the starter took off GREAT in the nector that I used to start it in....

Comment

Sounds good to me. I just looked at my notes, I added 4 tsp. tartaric acid to my 05 peach. Peaches contain malic and citric naturally.

Your first wine huh? How exciting. My first was a cheap kit and hooked me bigtime!

Good luck!
                      REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Forgot to ask...What yeast did you go with and what was the beginning SG?

I agree with Pat on the SG 1.075. Too much alcohol can ruin the delicate peach taste and bouquet. My 05 peach (to die for) is 11% and semi-sweet. Sweetened with frozen niagara-peach concentrate.
                        REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

I ended up using the cote des blanc yeast.... My OG or SG was 1.090 or perhaps 1.089... Is that too high?? SHould I add some more water to get it down?

Comment

actually this is my frist NON-Kit wine. I made a california red kit before, but you really dont do anything! It tells you what to do the entire time! AND, all the ingrediants are there, measured and everything! So really, I dont feel like that qualifies for my first wine...

Comment

No, I would not worry much about it, unless you want to bring it down to 1.085, but I wouldn't worry with it while it is fermenting strong. You might try to stop it when it gets down to 1.005, a good time to transfer to glass. Should be easy. You might just want to sweeten with peach nectar after it is dry and stabilized. It will add acid, but I think you will need it by then. No worries.
                              REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Working...
                              X