No announcement yet.

Peach Nectar... Gravity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you think I should stop it at 1.005 then? Or just transfer to glass then? Or are you saying that it is easy to stop in primary so you can mix it up, then transfer?
    What would this normally be "dry" at? Anyone know? usually its like .98 or so right?
    How many days does it usually take to get to 1.005, so I know when about to start taking gravity readings...

Comment

The fermentation rate can vary depending upon several things.

Temperature is the first to consider, the yeast type is the second, nutrient, is the third, aeration is the fourth.

Be sure to stir this up a couple of times daily for the first 2 or 3 days to give the yeast plenty of oxygen to reproduce.

Common times for fermentation will be in the 5 to 7 day range. Rack when the must reaches about 1.020 and get it under airlock then.

Pat

Comment

ohh i have mine in a fermentation bucket with an airlock... But yeah ok around the 1.020 I'll rack into a carboy with airlock and watch it from there i guess!
        Thanx

Comment

I will suggest that you remove the airlock from the bucket, and possibly the lid as well. Cover it with a sheet of plastic that is loosely tied.

This will give you easier access to the wine as it ferments. During the early stage the yeast needs oxygen to multiply so that a strong fermentation can take place.

It also makes it easier to stir up the must early on.

Pat

Comment

ohh really??? I didint know that wow thats odd.... how about nasties getting in though??

Comment

well im gunna just place the lid on it and not press it down... I also have taken out the airlock so there is a little hole to let in some air... I hope this doesnt make vinegar!! LOL

Comment

I thinking placing the lid on loosely is a good idea, but leave the airlock in it, so it is sealed against critters, but will allow CO2 to escape, or remove the lid completely and cover with plastic sheet.

while primary ferment is underway there will be enough CO2 produced to protect the wine.

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I do juice only batches with the lid and airlock on. That is how the kits have you do it. Even though, Pat is right about the stirring. While the ferment is very active, it needs stirred at least once a day. You never know how fast or slow a ferment will proceed. I would check SG on Sunday morning. Being juice only, I would add a tsp. of nutrient when transferred to glass. Being your first wine, I think you should go ahead and get it fermented out as dry as possible, then think about what to do next.
                  REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

when you guys say stir it, do you mean to really stir good or a gentle wisks to mix it up? In other words am I really sposed to be frothing it up and getting O2 in there? Cause in beer, you DONT do that at all! Its bad once fermentation starts...

Comment

As you likely know, many beer makers will oxygenate their wort. This gives the yeast a good start in life.

Beer, because of its relatively high pH has little protection from bacteria. Wine has a pH that is significantly lower. This makes it a more forgiving fermentation.

Stirring does two things mainly with wine.

1) it incorporates oxygen in the must to help the yeast multiply.
                      2) it keeps the yeast and solids from the fruit in suspension and moist.

As for the airlock hole, you can fill that with cotton wool to keep out bugs. Leaving the lid on loose is a viable option.

You will find that once you start to stir the must, it will foam up on its own. This is CO2 being released. You need to stir it up quite vigourously to get the extra oxygen in to the must.

After 2 days, the yeast should be allowed to go anaerobic. Gentle stirring is the answer here. Just enough to keep the yeast in the must, and to keep any fruit moist. Floating fruit will dry out and begin to rot.

Pat

Comment

This is a juice only batch, am I correct?

Ooops...I went back and read more carefully this time. I see now where you added canned peaches.

Yes, you need to stir very vigorously twice daily to keep the fruit wet. Is it in a mesh or straining bag? You will want to take it out after a few days.

Sorry Pat!
                        Last edited by Hippie; 23-12-2006, 04:22 AM. Reason: I am an idiot.
                        REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Hmmm I see.... You guys have been a great resource for a new wine maker... Thanx for the how and why responses!

Comment

Ohh and no bag at all! My Local Home Brew Store guy told me not to use one cause it is a waste! There wasnt much anyway and I reallly mushed them up. Yeah, he told me not to use a bag because I could just rack it off anyway and that it would be a waste... I told him that all the "guys online" suggest it, but, being a judge and a pro brewer that he is he poo-poo-ed it and made me feel a little stupid for asking about it. I guess that I'll have to buy a bag online later when I do more fruit wines!

Comment

Tell him winemaking and beer brewing are 2 way different procedures. Heck, I thought even beer brewers use muslin bags for grains and hops, etc. Who knows. Bob! Speak up!

A fine mesh straining bag is a great tool that will save you some grief when it is time to transfer all except the fruit into a tighter glass container for the anerobic phase of fermentation. Not only does it keep from transferring so much pulp over, it also save alot of wine and reduces how much is needed to top up later.

Invite that guy to join us here!
                              REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Yup straining bag is definately the way to go

we all have different ways to do things, but straining bag is a "must"
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X