Todays "little" enjoyment.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays "little" enjoyment.......

This years weather was rubbish, but for some strange reason, I managed to do quite well on the "chilli growing" front.

Our only mistake was to put the plants on the eastern side of the greenhouse.

Though we did have quite a crop of jalapenos, which were picked, sorted and then pickled.

This evening I was feeling peckish and after checking out the cupboards for something sweet or chocolatey (and failing dismally) I decided to see how the pickled chillies were progressing.

I used too much salt, too strong a vinegar, too much in the way of spices. Some of the chillies had suffered while growing and got some of the scaled/cracked appearance/texture to the skins.

And they were absolutely delicious

Considering they're jalapenos, the "coolest" of the chillies we grew, I was amazed how hot they came out pickled.

So now all I have to do is finish picking the "Tom Thumbs", the chocolate habaneros and the Dorset Naga's that are all just ripening now and I'll be done.

So far, what's been picked has been minced and kept in oil/vinegar in the fridge - I'm gonna do the same with the rest and then soak them in a bottle of vodka. Then strain any solids out and then gently heat the final liquid to evaporate off the vodka which will leave me with a much purer form of higher concentrated capsaicin. Just right for fortifying other hot sauces

A damn fine master plan, if I do say so myself

regards

JtFB
    Last edited by fatbloke; 26-10-2008, 11:41 PM.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings
Working...
X