Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here you go

N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

It is the one like a disk (flying saucer) I believe boots did one simular, basicaly gravity fed, circular disk fibre filter inside, costs around £15 and about £4.50 for a pack of 6 filters. It works well and gives a super sparkle to the wine, but the wine needs to be clear before filtering or it just blocks up, works great for 1 gal batches, but rather a slow task for 5 gal.
      Depending on how much you make, would determine what filter you should get, if price is not an issue there is the mini jet which is much faster and will handle 5 gal without a problem, then of course at even more expense there's the enilmatic which filters and bottles at the same time.
      But on a whole I must say the Harris has done for me and worth the money.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Hmmm very efficiant dude, could have saved me a lot of typing.
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

The Harris filter is brilliant, I thoroughly recommend it. As Duffbeer says it won't clear a wine but it polishes it beautifully. I never bottle anything without it going through the Harris, and it's reasonably priced too.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I say you can't go wrong with anything/body named Harris !!!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

And by the looks of it made here in the west Midlands. Dudley you are great.

I wonder if my local home brew shop will have any,.. emmm spending more money

Comment

emmm spending more money
                Got the Harris, but now I'm going heavy duty...new toys "he/she who finishes last with the biggest and most toys wins" correct?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Guest; 24-01-2008, 03:17 PM. Reason: quote

Comment

Originally posted by eggonline View Post
                  I do.
                  Got this finings stuff from brewshop.. its 2x bottles.. a drop of bottle A, stir & leave for 1/2 hour.. then a drop of bottle b & stir
                  Couldn't tell us what this stuff is called please, wouldn't mind trying it myself
                  Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by brewbie View Post
                    Couldn't tell us what this stuff is called please, wouldn't mind trying it myself
                    It's called Ritchies Kwik Clear finings, available in 90% of all home brew shops, and good stuff I might add.
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Cheers Duff
                      Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                        It's called Ritchies Kwik Clear finings, available in 90% of all home brew shops, and good stuff I might add.
                        Originally posted by brewbie View Post
                        Cheers Duff
                        Here's some I made (ok, used) earlier.......

regards

JtFB
                        Attached Files
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I voted "other" because I rarely use finings now I have a decent stock of of clear, mature wine (plus loads of quick maturing wine!).

However, whenever I make 'English Port' (to the Berry recipe, but with brandy added) I always add finings, as it's so dark and opaque that I can't tell whether there's residual sediment in it until I find it in my glass, despite trying to shine lights through it.
                          My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Sometimes...

Only if it won't clear, I use pect and amylo, so they usually do it themselves. I try and avoid finings as you tend to lose some of the tannin/taste as well as the haze

Comment

'Other'. I normally use finings supplied with kits. For my own stuff I try to give things time to clear themselves. If that doesn't work, a dose of Kwik Clear or Bentonite usually does the trick.
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
                              X