No announcement yet.

yellow plums ripening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing is for sure at least according to my taste - "fruit ripened on the tree is very much better than one ripened off the tree" cheers DAW

Comment

They dried out in the sun, couldn't get any juice out of them to test the brix.....but they did taste sweeter.....
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        They dried out in the sun, couldn't get any juice out of them to test the brix.....but they did taste sweeter.....
        They would taste sweeter if they had dried - water evaporates leaving a higher concentration of sugar behind; therefore not necessarily riper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
          They would taste sweeter if they had dried - water evaporates leaving a higher concentration of sugar behind; therefore not necessarily riper.

I agree when drying fruits the juices become concentrated as can be compared to the freezing of grapes and apples for Ice Wine and Cider and other fruits frozen in the freezer. Grapes used to make Amarone wine are dried in the sun and we are all familiar with the outstanding wine that this creates. Dried fruits are very useful in making wine; I use dried apricots, cherries, or cranberries with success to add the Malic 10% suggested additions for many citric wines or currents or elderberries to get the 10% citric addition suggested.

I don't know but I would think that there must be a way to measure the brix in dried fruit? Would be interested to know though. Cheers DAW

Comment

Working...
          X