2007 Vintage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Vintage

OK boys and girls, its time for the winemaking grapes again, they will be available from the 1st week in September, however at that time there will only be the sangiovese available, the merlot, grenache, trebbiano and cabernet sauvignon grapes (and perhaps montepulciano too) will be 1 to 2 weeks later, so provisionally I am planning to pick up the grapes on friday 7th or saturday 8th September (however this date may move to a later date depending on when harvest happens) The grapes normally arrive at around 22 -24 brix and acid at around 0.5 -0.6 g/l (measured as tartaric)

You do not need to do much with them except throw them in and let em rip, however careful stewarding of the numbers and using a good quality yeast will make a great difference to the finished product, giving you a wine that is better than a lot of commercial wines (if processed correctly) at a cost of about 90p per bottle.

This year I will document every part of the process in a lot more detail, with pictures, so you could follow along (vintning by numbers)

I am happy (as ever) to add extra grapes to the order for anyone who wants them, a 9 kilo (20lb) box will cost between £6 and £7.50 (estimate...prices not fixed by supplier yet) and 1 box will make about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gallons. These are fantastic quality grapes from Italy except the Grenache which are from Spain, and they make top quality wine....

Once the grapes are back up north, you can collect them from me or maybe I could meet people at various points travelling back north, but it would have to be on the A1 and it would mean you having to be there waiting when I arrived ...not trying to be arsey, its just that it will have been a very long day up till then allready having started at approx 5 a.m. and I will have to crush and destem once home)

Alternatively you could come to my house and take part in a crushing/destemming processing party followed by a sleepover/hangover
    then take away a bucket full of must, I have all of the test equipment a body could need. the grapes last year and in 05 needed no adjustments to acid/sugar (however you may recall my .....*cough*.... "incident" ...with acid additions, the wine has recovered and is in A1 condition, and is maturing beautifully)

I want to try to get this thing going on a bigger scale as if I can get enough people interested in having grapes then we could probably have them delivered up north.

so......

who wants some?

let me know by posting here or via PM
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 12-08-2007, 10:13 AM. Reason: additional info
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Me me me, I wan't some, I wan't some, me me me
    Put me down for 20 trays Bob, probably 4 of each type
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I'd quite like enough to do a 5 gallon tub of merlot, BUT, the only dates I'm free are 10th to 14th September. It's quite hectic for me with shift work, courses and away for a week!!

If we can sort something out for then, I'm in..

Rich

Comment

Dont worry too much, we could process them for you and you can pick them up on those dates (drop me your primary fermenter off.and we will stick them in, and shepherd them till you can come get em, you dont live too far away)

...they will need pressing once the brix drops to about 5 (ish) if you dont have a press we could just press them at the same time as mine.

they have to be started fermenting almost straight away or the wild yeast will set in....unreliable stuff.

nut im sure we can soret something
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I am soooooo tempted!!!!
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

go on go on go on
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              Dont worry too much, we could process them for you and you can pick them up on those dates (drop me your primary fermenter off.and we will stick them in, and shepherd them till you can come get em, you dont live too far away)

...they will need pressing once the brix drops to about 5 (ish) if you dont have a press we could just press them at the same time as mine.

they have to be started fermenting almost straight away or the wild yeast will set in....unreliable stuff.

nut im sure we can soret something
              Thats a brilliant offer, thank you.

I don't have a press, or anything to test the brix with, is that a problem?

I could drop you a fermenting bucket off later this month if thats ok, with the money for the grapes obviously.

I'd like to be there for the whole process but that really doesn't pay the bills..

Does nobody use the flash chat on here?

Rich

Comment

I have all the "toys" so you dont need them, i will test all of the grapes brix levels before i buy them, to make sure they are in acceptable ranges, acid tests carried out when i get them home and additions made as is necessary.

I just missed you on flashchat before, it gets used a bit, but not a lot
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I think a ton is what is required, will find out for sure soon.

too late to set it up for this year I think, but not sure
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ok Bob, I will have 2 boxes of Merlot please, I am still very new to this and am brewing gallon batches until my knowledge/confidence improves. Will have to come over to yours for the crushing etc, sounds like fun! What type of yeast do you recommend?
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Lalvin RC 212 or Gervin A or Lalvin KV1116
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

But....

Might order some oenoferm rouge or some vinoferm rouge (from Belgium)

also going to try a different MLF culture...
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I might try it with one box, destemmed but thats all, I shudder to think how long it would take to be drinkable if all those stems were in there.

In the name of experimentation.

I will be properly fed up if it ends up better than the stuff I will be messing with, with all my winemaking toys
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            I will be properly fed up if it ends up better than the stuff I will be messing with, with all my winemaking toys
                            Even if it tastes better, it won't be as fun.

Comment

Oh, and the guy says we can have them delivered up here if we take 10 pallettes (all of the same grape)

Yikes thats 1,004 boxes
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X