This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking Elderberries with Steve and Tara

Some beginning winemaking friends stopped by to pick elderberries and I put them to work making a picking elderberries video and threw in one of a elderberry wine fresh from being transferred from the primary to a carboy at 1.010. Crackedcork

Picking Elderberries with Steve
    Picking Elderberries with Tara
    Bubbling Elderberry Wine
    WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Excellent....thanks for sharing

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Great Elderberry berry heads. They are twice the size of the ones that I usually get here. Mine with all the heat this year just dried right out on the stocks. Not able to give them enough water.

Cork -- great fermentation going on with that elderberry. Isn't the sound of the bubbles a very relaxing and enjoyable sound? Enjoyed the pictures. DAW

Comment

Thanks Bob and DAW. We irrigated our elderberries this year during the drought and it really paid off in bigger berries. I like the sound of several carboys bubbling in concert at different speeds too. Crackedcork

Comment

Cork - I tried that also but along the way and the tree being back in the corner it some how got missed. Looks like I will be looking for another couple elderberry trees next spring. Hope your elderberry wine is great this year. DAW

Comment

I moved this to the fruit wine section and made it sticky, thought it might sit better here
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Agree Bob - Cork and friends are resident experts with the elderberries. They certainly know the growing and wine making with elderberries. Cheers to all. DAW

Comment

Wow, I have been stickied Our elderberry experiments this year include juicing 50 pounds of elderberries with steam juicer and just fermenting the juice, a standard 15 lb of raw elderberries in 5 gallons, 15 lbs of elders simmered for 20 minutes in 5 gallons, mixes of elderberries and blackberries, and we dried a lot of berries this year and are using Jack Kellers recipie with 5 ounces of dried elderberries for each gallon, and one made from 9 lbs of berries that were dried first as an equivalent batch to see if more or less dried elderberries make a better wine for us.

Crackedcork

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
                  Wow, I have been stickied
                  Of course...you da man when it comes to elderberries dude
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I forgot, an elderberry mead too. I am still an amateur, this is only our third year for having elderberries, our first batch is still maturing

Crackedcork

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
                      I forgot, an elderberry mead too. I am still an amateur, this is only our third year for having elderberries, our first batch is still maturing

Crackedcork
                      Wow an Elderberry mead - should be OTW (out of this world). I believe elderberries and honey - great combination. I have a black currant mead going on at the present time; you wouldn't believe the color in that secondary fermenter. Nearly jet black with a purple tinge. Sure looking forward to that one. DAW

Comment

Transplanting elderberry

Some advice on "how to transplant elderberry"? There are some 5' plants along the southside of my property that I would like transplanted to a vineyard plot. There are more in the wild that are prolific plants, they too would best fit my vineyard. I saved some of them from the Highway Mowing Crew, doubt they will survive next summer.

Comment

Aristaeus, I have moved a couple of 2 year old plants, just cut off most of the branches, dig a BIG hole to put them in and water well after you backfill. Make sure to get as many roots as possible. Crackedcork

Originally posted by Aristaeus View Post
                          Some advice on "how to transplant elderberry"? There are some 5' plants along the southside of my property that I would like transplanted to a vineyard plot. There are more in the wild that are prolific plants, they too would best fit my vineyard. I saved some of them from the Highway Mowing Crew, doubt they will survive next summer.

Comment

Make sure you do not plant any deeper than it is growing already. Sometimes slightly shallower works best when transplanting most trees and shrubs. This is the best time to do it as long as the ground is not frozen. Water through the winter during dry spells when the ground is not frozen. (not unusual to be very dry in the winter here, even when cold)

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Elderberry goes with every "thing"....

You could wear elderberry on your person and it would improve your body talcum powder. We won a Bronze at WineMaker Magazine Wine Contest with a Oklahoma first - 100% made in Okiehoma, "Grapes of Wrath" Appellation, reliance grape and elderberry. It was the most beautiful deep dark Burgundy-Rose Red color.

A tawny port for sure, the tawny is taken to the maximun, brute tawny...Puckers your face brute tawny when new, it softens to a mellow melt-down on your taste buds at 4 years old. We have so few bottles that survive to the ripe old age of 4....painful is it, to see the last bottle disappear before maturity. So I am making 3 new 50 gallon batches. 11% alcohol sweet mead wyeast primary, Chenin blanc 60%, Voignier 12%, Honey 20%, 3 lbs light malt, 5 gallon pasteurized elderberry at day 5 with new 18% dry mead wyeast secondary. 500 ml lemon juice, 1 litre rouge concentrate for color and more acid. Yes, we will Hungarian Oak Chunk for age....how long? Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

It is all over but the prayer's...finished putting it to bed at 5 a.m. CST, 10 a.m. UK time. Let it rest for 24 hours, after cooling it down with cold steam distilled water. We pasteurized 16 gallon of honey and water. Today at 4 p.m. CST I will pitch a 2 hour starter. May the Melomel GOD be gracious, and smile, and smile, and smile upon us?!
                              Last edited by Guest; 25-11-2007, 02:12 AM. Reason: omission

Comment

Working...
                              X