Problems with 07 Merlot and Cabernet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with 07 Merlot and Cabernet

We might not be able to get the Cab or the Merlot this year, dispute with the grower over prices, however, the Scicilian (unidentified) that i had last year....I think they are Primitivo...is available, and supplier tells me they are good quality.

so up to now the Reds are:
    Montepulciano (Italian)
    Sangiovese (Italian)
    Sicilian (primitivo i think)

Whites:
    Trebbiano (Italian)
    and another unidentified Scicilian variety.

A little dissapointing not to be able to have the cab and the Merlot, but that may change next week.....

watch this space
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    We might not be able to get the Cab or the Merlot this year, dispute with the grower over prices, however, the Scicilian (unidentified) that i had last year....I think they are Primitivo...is available, and supplier tells me they are good quality.
    By the way, for those who are unaware, Italian Primitivo is the same grape that's called Zinfandel in the US. If you've never made wine from Zinfandel, it's a versatile grape than can be used to make many different styles - everything from rosés to full-bodied reds. It does particularly well in hot regions such as Sicily.

I have to throw in a shameless plug, because it's one of my favorite wine grapes.
    Steve

Comment

Cheers Steve, the more info the better
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        By the way, for those who are unaware, Italian Primitivo is the same grape that's called Zinfandel in the US. If you've never made wine from Zinfandel, it's a versatile grape than can be used to make many different styles - everything from rosés to full-bodied reds. It does particularly well in hot regions such as Sicily.

I have to throw in a shameless plug, because it's one of my favorite wine grapes.
        I very much like the Zinfandel also - none of this varietal in the Okanagan Valley - not quite hot enough for that. So in lieu of fresh Zinfandel the retailer has an offer from Mondiale Fresco 2007 for fresh grape juice with a minimum of 4 kg's of crushed and destemmed grapes of the same varietal: the choices are - all Sonoma Editions - cav-sav, merlot, Pino Noir and Zinfandel all Californian each 121.95$ cdn. Steve have you had any experience with these? Cheers DAW

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
          I very much like the Zinfandel also - none of this varietal in the Okanagan Valley - not quite hot enough for that. So in lieu of fresh Zinfandel the retailer has an offer from Mondiale Fresco 2007 for fresh grape juice with a minimum of 4 kg's of crushed and destemmed grapes of the same varietal: the choices are - all Sonoma Editions - cav-sav, merlot, Pino Noir and Zinfandel all Californian each 121.95$ cdn. Steve have you had any experience with these? Cheers DAW
          DAW,

I haven't had any experience with the Mosti Mondiale Fresco product, but I am very familiar with the source, that is grapes grown in the San Joaquin Valley. I usually buy two or three types of fresh grapes from that region every year, as well as a couple of juice pails comparible to the Mondiale product (alas, without the grape packs).

The SJ Valley is further inland than Napa and most of the better-known regions so it doesn't get as much of the coastal influence. As a result it's much hotter there. Some the hot-weather grape varieties such as Tempranillo, Grenache, and Zinfandel do real well - in fact, many of the commercial "old vine" Zins are from the valley.

My guess is that the Zinfandel product would be a good bet. Of more dubious quality would be the Cab and Merlot, particularly if the season has been real hot - although a couple of years ago I made a pretty decent Merlot from valley grapes. The Pinot Noir I would probably avoid. Pinot usually does much better in cooler regions (like the Okanagan, for example).

Hope this helps,
          Steve
          Steve

Comment

Do you suggest blending with something like Amarone of which they say they have from Italy. Thank you for the reply.. Cheers DAW

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
              Do you suggest blending with something like Amarone of which they say they have from Italy. Thank you for the reply.. Cheers DAW
              DAW, I personally think it's always worth trying a blend. Zinfandel is a good blender and mixes nicely with wines that are dark and tannic. Amarone might work well.
              Steve

Comment

Mind you it might Not be Zinfandel, that is purely guesswork on my part.

Last year the grapes came in at 28 brix, so I just fired a yeast starter up and pitched it in, more as an experiment that anything else, was sort of expecting a little residual sweetness, and was going to fortify, but it fermented to dry-0.990 (17.5% ABV) Its big and chewy and feels like someone blew a balloon up in your mouth, and you have to wait for the wine to settle after you have swirled,but a little alcohol hot at the moment.

So its sat on some of the lovely Curt's oak cubes (2g per litre) and some tan'cor Grand cru (1g per 5 litres) ageing as we type. Figure this one is a long term ager!

Bu may take some again this year, and if brix is high again I may reduce accordingly with acidulated water.

regards
                Bob
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 15-09-2007, 10:35 AM.
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

so up to now the Reds are:
                  Montepulciano (Italian)
                  Sangiovese (Italian)
                  Sicilian (primitivo i think)

Whites:
                  Trebbiano (Italian)
                  and another unidentified Scicilian variety.

A little dissapointing not to be able to have the cab and the Merlot, but that may change next week.....

watch this space
                  Montepulciano is a nice wine. Smooth, yet has a nice bite to it, but doesn't dry out your mouth like some reds.

I am a big red-wine drinker, and I consider Montepulciano to be one of my favorites.

The other Italian red that might be worth looking into is Bardolino... Especially since Lake Garda is one of my favorite holiday destinations... But that's far from Sicilian wine, but rather just an aside.

Not trying to influence you, but if I were to have the choice, it'd be without a doubt Montepulciano. (It's also a nice word to say Italian-style).
                  Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                  Twitter: VirtualWineO
                  Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Thanks Danina, I was thinking of the full Monte if Bob can't get the Merlot.
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                      Thanks Danina, I was thinking of the full Monte if Bob can't get the Merlot.

You are so lucky. Would be fun to try to make some grape wines. Perhaps this year I still might.
                      Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                      Twitter: VirtualWineO
                      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Well if you dont, then next year may be an option eh?
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                        X