No announcement yet.

Commercial wine prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I paid a fortune for a bottle of vintage chateau y'quem sauternes once, but I ain't ever gonna admit how much. I was worth every penny. Otherwise, I rarely buy any wine, but when I do, it's usually from Netto's as it's incredibly cheap.

Comment

i think you have to go to asda get 3 for a £10a drink them wash them then fill them with wine no1.
      i my self have not spent more than about 6 to 8 pound on a bottle of wine.
      Last edited by jay; 07-03-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I was once going along the Loire stopping at chateaux as we went, we stopped at one and drank some fine wine and some even finer brandies. I never knew the individual prices but the bill had to be spread over three peoples' credit cards and it took months to pay off. The moral of that story is never go through a cellar of a chateaux agreeing to try anything they suggest. :0)

Most expensive holiday of my life, but a grand one.....

Comment

I have all but given up on commercial - it is often dissappointing and the bottle bank is a cheaper source of bottles. Does anyone else go bottle bank dipping? my wife won't have anything to do with it !!

I have tried to explain that the worth BANK is synonymous with depesits and withdrawals but no......
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            I have all but given up on commercial - it is often dissappointing and the bottle bank is a cheaper source of bottles. Does anyone else go bottle bank dipping? my wife won't have anything to do with it !!

I have tried to explain that the worth BANK is synonymous with depesits and withdrawals but no......
            LOL ! Never had to, I live opp a pub, work next to a pub, and ask them to save bottles if I need them. Failing that I'd ask on Freecycle which is usually a good bet for jam jars !

Comment

Well to be honest the one time I did pay a fair slab, was a Margaux and in my idiot opinion it was worth every penny.

I must make more of an effort to do occasional booze runs as some of the warehouses in Calais have Margaux for £10 to £15 a bottle.

I'd like to try a chateau Y'quem though that's usually too rich for my pocket.

As for Bob's comment about the Co-op having some of the popes 9th house for about a tenner a bottle, well I'll be checking out the local branch this week. Love the stuff!

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Brought a 99 bottle of Sauternes for more than I care to mention, and have a bottle of Bollinger or two of 99 Grand Annee. Aside from that that I'm usually a £5 a bottle max, normally brought in France.

Comment

I have to admit I love Chatau Neuf du Pape and a nice St. Emilion (and no, I'm not necessarily a Frenchie ... some of the New World wines are fantastic), but I have to admit to enjoying 'slumming it'. Some of the cheap and cheery wines are a joy to behold and a wine, after all, is only worth what we're willing to pay for it. I have, though, had some great parties where we've said 'eeeeewwwwww! how bad is that?' but there's never been any left at the end. Wines are about fun, not money. That's why we make our own. How many of us have conconted a liquid that we know hasn't been the best .... but have been physically unable to abandon it.

I'll have cheap and cheerful and donate the difference to the Marie Dalglish Cancer appeal.
                  “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by wisp View Post
                    Wines are about fun, not money. That's why we make our own. How many of us have conconted a liquid that we know hasn't been the best .... but have been physically unable to abandon it.
                    Yup.... guilty of that here
                    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

My wife works at M&S and every now and again Marksey's have a deal on, if you buy 6 bottles of wine you get a 25% discount. My wife gets an employee discount of 20%, so when we buy 6 bottles we get a total of 45% discount which amounts to 6 bottles of wine for the price of 3, or there abouts.

Comment

Working...
                      X