Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup
    the one on the left is still going strong S.G. 1.008
    the one on the right is at 1.002 and seems to be finished. just bubbling gently. it started at 1.110 so ABV is 14.69%
    but will check S.G. a few days apart to see.

Quick question for anyone who knows.......this should be a candidate for MLF shouldn't it?
    but would it do the same as for grape wines and mellow it out and age slightly quicker?

or should I just leave it alone, I'm just a tad worried about MLF starting on its own so if I don't add MLF culture I will probably bulk age it.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 31-10-2005, 06:40 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Good idea...

...either way, Bob. Malic is the predominant acid in plums. If you do, make sure the SO2 is 30ppm or less and temp is 72*F or better. It might not start in that much alcohol precentage. I always added it when I racked to glass, but my PA wasn't as high as yours.

All that acid is the reason stone fruit wines take so long to age well.
      REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Bob, trying to get photo to show up.
        Attached Files

Comment

OK it's been aging in glass for over a year, it's mostly clear but I'm thinking it might need some more pectolase.

Still looks a good colour, may do some work on it soon, may just leave it till spring

there you go Glenvall.....learned the patience thing at last

lol
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

It's about time, I was getting tired of waiting!
            REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead Squirrel Running
                Send me two bottles and bill me $40 us dollars each and then check yourself in to an instituion.
                I'm on the institutions "urgent" waiting list
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

How did it turn out???

Comment

if i were to make it again i would add 4 tsp pectolase per gallon, and definately NOT use hot or boiling water at any point in the process....
                    as it took ages and 4 seperate pectolase treatments and 2 seperate finings additions afterwards to clear....the 2nd 5 gal batch is still in a 5 gallon carbuoy, and STILL isnt clear.

the finished wine was oooooookay, but better if sweetened to around 1.010
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                    X