No announcement yet.

De-Gassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What you need to achieve is cativation, the point where the CO2 is splurged out, this is not normally achieved by making a deep vortex, but by the initial rip of the whip through the wine, so short bursts are what is required

hope this helps
    regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• cativation cool word!

thanks for the pointer too
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• I've had a look at this thread previous but not add anything because I was waiting for my ferment to finish.

In my 5 gallon fermenting tub with a No1 wine, I used a stirring paddle.

It took about 15 minutes to totally de-gas, I think this is due to my fermenter not being airtight during fermentation.

Gary

Comment

• Airtight fermenters have nothing to do with carbon dioxide retention.

It is all to do with temperature/season and when you want to drink it!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I'm not having much success with this de-gassing lark. I've been using some "late addition" methods of fruit and, more recently, elderflower, and I'm reluctant to lose the bouquet and fruitiness I've achieved from this by thrashing up a load of CO2. I've tried vacuum racking but without effect. I am planning to try another vacuum racking session, this time after ensuring that the wine is up to 23C before I start.
            Cheers,
            Dave.
            If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
            But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              Airtight fermenters have nothing to do with carbon dioxide retention.

It is all to do with temperature/season and when you want to drink it!
              I thought with an airtight seal the wine would retain the co2 more. Thats good to know thanks Brian

I swished the wine around in 5, three minute turns, and once it got to around 12 minutes the foam settled really quick.

I did give it some heave ho, i think i lost half a bottle on the floor.

Gary

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaztops View Post
                I thought with an airtight seal the wine would retain the co2 more. Thats good to know thanks Brian
                It should be airtight yes, so that all the airflow is through the air lock ( similar to river locks - you wouldn't want the boats getting out of the river walking around the lock would you - it would make a mess of the grass)

The air lock maintains equal atmospheric pressure on both sides, but insures nothing untoward (hopefully) gets in - this is why you see all sorts of potions and lotions put in airlock other than water.

If it was a pressure vessel - i.e. completely sealed. And still under fermentation, you would get fizzy wine. This is how champagne is made, secondary fermentation in a bottle. Completely sealed. this is why champagne (& beer) are made in much stronger & heavier bottles - do this in ordinary bottles and you are actually making hand grenades not beer.
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 02-07-2013, 09:06 AM.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Got it,

Thanks Brian

Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X