What to read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to read

There are many books on winemaking, some good some bad, CJJ Berry's book was great in its day, but the recipes and methods are somewhat outdated now, for example the ammount of sugar used in the recipes produce wines that are too sweet (in my opinion) and I personally dont like the sugar feeding of yeast till it dies, I feel it produces wines that are too high in alcohol, and more modern practices render this technique obsolite in my opinion.

So what books do you read on winemaking...and why? (apart from the freebies in the downloads section of course)
    and in case you missed them here they are again

what advice would you give a newbie regarding which book to buy?

I like Terry Gareys the joy of home winemaking, it is a little lacking in "method" but good sound advice for newbies.

but for great info on the whole winemaking process progressive winemaking Brian Acton and Peter Duncan

your views...ideas...hints...tips?
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-10-2007, 01:44 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

One recomended (to me by Silverfox) is..

Winemaking in style
    by Gerry Fowles

If I have the name or title slightly wrong ... apologies

BTW I haven't found it yet
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

currently unavailable on amazon.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

as amazing as it must seem

why do you suppose I haven't found it yet

:
        I wish I was a glow worm
        It's hard to be unhappy

Comment

Free is good too. Here is an excellent online manual written by Lum Eisenman:

http://www.geocities.com/lumeisenman/
          Steve

Comment

I've got Straight-forward Winemaking by Professor Gerry Fowles, dated 1975..

Found this forum more usefull though and questions answered promptly!!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
              as amazing as it must seem

why do you suppose I haven't found it yet
              Sorry Zeb...
              another senior moment, they are happening more regularly these days, with shorter gaps between them
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

hope you haven't taken offence at my reply

I put all the smileys to stress it was tongue in cheek
                I wish I was a glow worm
                It's hard to be unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                  hope you haven't taken offence at my reply

I put all the smileys to stress it was tongue in cheek

no offence taken at all Zeb

the smilies are a good way of indicating you are kidding....
                  but even if you werent it was funny
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Here are my favourites, I will not give you my not so favourite:

Techniques in Home Winemaking - by Daniel Pambianchi
                    The Enclopedia of Home Winemaking - by Pierre Drapeau and Andre Vanasse
                    Getting Started in Winemaking - by J.E Underhill
                    Winemaker's recipe handbook - by Raymond Massaccesi and
                    Winemaking - byStanley Anderson and Dorthy Anderson

Am always looking for more. Cheers DAW

Comment

I will be honest, I like CJJ Berry's book, in conjunction with Terry Garey's book.

However, if you read it like I do (CJJ Berry). I read it from cover to cover before getting into winemaking. If you don't do it this way, you miss alot. And, if you keep "modern" winemaking skills as your guide. I don't add sugar the way he does. I do, however, use his recipes as a guide. His initial guides might be outdated, but his good advice still holds true today. His recipes have been proven (to me) that they are tried, true, and reproduceable. But, like I said, I still use the methods that are available to me today. I don't use a slice of bread as nutrient, no... But I do use nutrient. I don't feed sugar until the yeast die, but I do use a wine yeast. So, even though many are apt to critizise his book, I still use it as a bible - but just as the bible, I'm questioning everything when I go along, look to forums such as this one to improve, update, and enhance the recipes that are STILL good in that book...

His methodology is great, btw. Terry Garey just says, "don't worry." But every winemaker (every serious winemaker) worries. It's not good to just follow a recipe and not have an SG to back it up. That's my biggest fault with her book. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I'm more of a numbers person. I need to know temperatures, SGs, and the course of a wine.

And what I'm missing in most books, "What's the taste when you're done?" Sure, Barley wine sounds intriguing, but "most impressive" or "everyone just loved it at a party" does not give me enough information to actually make the wine. That's where I rely heavily on online sources.

For what it's worth, hope this helped someone, at least.
                      Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                      Twitter: VirtualWineO
                      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

I agree, tasting notes would be nice in winemaking how-tos.

I also read all of them cover to cover.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Danina, I so agree with you. I know everybody seems to denigrate Cjj Berry, but if I have a query about something that's the first place I go, and 90% of the time I find the answer. I've got about 15 books and First Steps is the most useful.

I also agree with Hippie, a 'tasting notes' tutorial would be a good thing.
                          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

As a beginner Cyril Berry's book has helped me get off the ground. I just wanted instructions and to learn how things work. I only have 2 books so far and dont feel I need another "how to" book, just maybe more recipes. I read somewhere on the internet to use 2kg of sugar in most recipes then sweeten later if necessary so thats what I've been doing.

Hope it works.

Comment

Oops
                              sorry guys I didn't mean to infer the book was no good.....
                              it was my first book too, just wanted to point out that some of the info is out of date, and out of step with modern methods. It's still a great book, just need to make people aware that the sugar levels in the recipes is a little high (someone wise once said...your hydrometer is your friend....and they were right)

and I think that sugar feeding isn't always a good thing

Cyril Berry I think did more for the UK winemaking scene than anyone before or since, and deserves massive respect

hope this clears up my thinking on this
                              regards
                              Bob
                              Last edited by lockwood1956; 03-10-2007, 12:47 PM.
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X