What to read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiff View Post
    I read somewhere on the internet to use 2kg of sugar in most recipes then sweeten later if necessary so thats what I've been doing.

Hope it works.

2Kg's of sugar, sounds a lot, what has your starting SG been with that?

Rich

Comment

Well when these 4 dj's are my first, when I started the first 3 I didnt take a reading. With the pineapple juice I did and increased the sugar from the hydrometer reading. Have tasted the blackberry and its very dry, havent yet tasted the tea or the elderberry.

Comment

The Complete Book Of Home Winemaking by H.E.Bravery, another old one about 35 years old but I do find the advice to be sound, the recipes are more in depth than CJJ Berry and all vary in sugar additions depending on the fruit used. It also has a fault finding section at the back for the most common problems likely to be encountered by most winemakers.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Adding sugar during fermentation will not make the finished wine more sweet, unless the yeast used cannot tolerate the increased alcohol that will be produced. Always ferment dry, stabilize, sweeten later.

Sorry, off topic for this thread, but same is posted all through the forum, from time to time.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I've just ordered these books;

Joy of Home Wine Making by Terry Garey
            Art of Making Wine by Betty Sampson
            Home Winemaking the Right Way by Kenneth Hawkins

I heard they were good so i'm looking forward to reading them
            Be luckysigpic

Comment

Originally posted by valleydaz View Post
              I heard they were good so i'm looking forward to reading them
              Please let us know if you liked tham, and were they helpful to you?

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Three years later (sorry but I've not long been a member) I'm surprised nobody's mentioned any books by Duncan Gillespie. His books are a mine of anecdotes and sound advice and written in a humorous, down-to-earth manner. A good one to start off with is "Lighthearted Winemaking". I couldn't tell you what the ISBN is, though.

Cheers

Keith

Comment

Here you go

ISBN-10: 0900841133
                  ISBN-13: 978-0900841132
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

ISBN 978-0900841132, available 'used' through Amazon if that helps.
                    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

How was that for you Bob?
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

anyne got this...

if so...care to do a "review"
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Whilst reading this thread I actually kooked at the titles of my libary

Wine Making at Home - Francis Pinnegar
                          The Complete Book of Home Winemaking - H.E. Bravery
                          130 New Winemaking Recipes - C.J.J. Berry
                          Home Made Wine Secrets - Peggy Hutchinson
                          BOOTS Book of Home Wine and Beermaking

It shows that I really must update some of these books- Homade secrest has a price of 7/6d (ask your granny if un doubt) and a recieved date of 11/56 (no, it was second hand) and Berry,s 130 recipe is also older than me.

A visit to amazon coming on.

As to Berry, I can't think of anything more to say, the recipe are that old that hydrometer weren't available but the world was a more enlightened place for his being here.

Comment

The books in your list....the one that jumps out is the HE Bravery one, he was instrumental in the hobby becoming what it is today through his daily mirror column on winemaking, he was the first to show everyone how useful the hydrometer was....he was way ahead of his time

I am no fan of the recipes in "first steps" But Cyril Berrys methodology at the start of the book is excellent. this is why i took the time to redo a lot of the recipes, converting to metric as I went.

there are many books on winemaking available, I think the best one for a beginner is likely winemaking in style professor Gerry Fowles, it is out of print now, but comes up on amazon and ebay from time to time.

My favourite is progressive winemaking by duncan and acton, again out of print but still in stock at some home brew stores. a great read and full of useful information, it is required reading for trainee judges.

For the more geeky and booky among you (like I am) "must" by professor fowles is a great book, still in print and available at good HB stores, it has everything you need to know for preparing balanced wine musts. again it is rewuired reading for trainee judges

regards
                            Bob
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 08-01-2011, 07:47 PM.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Two other faves are "Making Chateau style wines" Daniel Pambianchi, a fab guide to making grape wines, and modern winemaking methods by gladys Blacklock this is out of print but comes up on amazon and ebay...a book decades ahead of its time, and jam packed full of information and technique, a real must have (pun intended)
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

In Fact...my top 5

1 Progressive winemaking Acton and Duncan
                                2 Modern winemaking Gladys Blacklock
                                3 Knowing and making wine Emile Peynaud
                                4 Winemaking in style Gerry Fowles
                                5 Making chateu style wines Daniel Pambianchi

And if that became a top 10

6 Must Gerry Fowles
                                7 Modern winemaking HE Bravery
                                8 Drink your Garden Judith Glover
                                9 Award winning wines Bill Smith
                                10 A step by step guide to making home made wine Judith Irwin

and a top 15

11 The chemistry and biology of winemaking Ian S Hornsey
                                12 Home winemaking step by step John Iverson
                                13 First steps CJJ berry
                                14 The joy of winemaking Terry Garey
                                15 The Compleat meadmaker Ken Schramm
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X