Wine won't clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine won't clear

1 Batch of plum wine....won't clear with normal methods (finings) also been degassed thoroughly

Had this last year and was able to get it to clear using the cold treatment...

N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

So into the fridge it goes.......

I'm expecting to get it to clear inside two to three weeks

thought i would post photos of the process

hoping it helps

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

My Plum wine cleared after two doses of finings. First lot was Kwik Clear then after a week I racked it off added a dose of pectolase. Let it settle for a day then added 3 tsp Brewmaker Wineclear. After a week filtered it off and it was as crystal clear. Not sure if this was the best way to do things but it worked for me. I must try and get a spare fridge into the garage without the good Lady seeing
      I drink therefore I am.

Comment

Can you use finnings more than once to clear the wine, and do wine finnings impair the taste?

If not i'll add a second dose to me pair wine.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

I read that its best to use no more than two doses of finings. As for taste i have noticed no impairment, but then I have been told I have no taste.
          I drink therefore I am.

Comment

its funny how it works last year did two 1 gallon demis of same wine
            one cleared easily the other didn't, I boiled the plums and I think what happened was 1 put together the first gallon and left the rest boiling while I did it, by the time i came to the second lot they had boiled for too long.

tried all sorts to clear it...added extra Pectolase three lots of finings

eventualy got the cold treatment help from Pat cuthbert (moderator on winepress.us) worked a treat, i use it as first line of defence now, if one lot of finings doesn't work

regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Choose the right product for the job

I'm not sure what products you have available to you but there are two primary types. The first are ion positive and the second are ion negative agents. If you have a positive haze such as pectin you need a negative fining product to attract and settle out the haze. The same goes for a heavy lees problem in a grape wine. Betonite is the best for that application as another agent will only make the issue worse. If the first application in the correct dose didn't do it, it was the wrong product. So if you poke yourself in the eye and it hurts, don't do it again.

Comment

Well there you go

learn something new every day

cheers Jay

how can you tell which finings is which then?

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Plum wine

Bob What is the reason for boiling thee plums, do they juice better

Harry

Comment

It's just an olde worlde recipe

couple of other batches I have just fermented on the destoned and chopped up plums and squished them each day when i pressed down the cap.

I stuck with this recipe for this 1 batch as I won a medal with this recipe earlier this year.

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Coo, congatulations, Bob
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956
                        So into the fridge it goes.......

I'm expecting to get it to clear inside two to three weeks

thought i would post photos of the process

hoping it helps

I also have a batch of plum wine that won't clear...freinds made some last year and said it never cleared.....read on a fourm that it might clear in 2 years.....So, how cold is a cold treatment???? And for how long???? Live in Minnesota USA, I have a big cooler...just open the door....I could put it outside now, but not sure how cold to get the carboy[DJ]??? Incase it might freeze could I put it back into a primary plastic bucket and put it outside????

Comment

Do you have an attached garage? With the weather we've had lately it should be no problem putting it in the garage. Where in MN do you live?
                          Life's more fun with a Polish Wine Princess!
                          Half owner of Italian Floor Corker

Comment

Hello, No attached garage, can put it out in a building or the greehouse, it should be safe out there. Should it be in a plastic container??? Or does wine not freeze???? It will be 45*F[7*C] days and 26*F[-3*C] at night for the next week or so............I live south of Theif River Falls, North of Fosston, East of Crookston....Trail MN, pop.62...[Sat and Sunday night pop 362] Sat-Rock and Roll...Sunday Polka...Life is good on de-tundra.

Comment

I think an out building will be fine for a while. I don't think you need to worry about it freezing if you have actual alcohol in it. Think. HEAT in your gas tank, ethyl alcohol. You should be fine, even though you're not brewing shine, are you?
                              We're 30 North of Crookston, 30 miles West of Thief River and 30 miles NE of EGF. We may need to swap some wine some day! And Curt of from near Bemidji. We could tip a few and swap some bottles!
                              Life's more fun with a Polish Wine Princess!
                              Half owner of Italian Floor Corker

Comment

Working...
                              X