No announcement yet.

Wine won't clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And no need to take it out of the glass carboy.
    Life's more fun with a Polish Wine Princess!
    Half owner of Italian Floor Corker

Comment

cold fining...

...26*F should not be too cold for a wine with at least 12% abv.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Wine
        I think an out building will be fine for a while. I don't think you need to worry about it freezing if you have actual alcohol in it. Think. HEAT in your gas tank, ethyl alcohol. You should be fine, even though you're not brewing shine, are you?
        We're 30 North of Crookston, 30 miles West of Thief River and 30 miles NE of EGF. We may need to swap some wine some day! And Curt of from near Bemidji. We could tip a few and swap some bottles!
        Okay, built the house too far from the outbuildings to carry the carboy [DJ] over there, greenhouse heats up when the sun shines....so put it out on the deck to chill and put a cardboard box over it....."How tacky is that????" Suppose to be fairly cold [a tad below freezing at night] for the next week or so...[what am I saying...it's going to be cold till spring around here] I was a bit worried about the sulphite in the airlock freezing and breaking, so I put a solid bung in the carboy. Do you think having a solid bung will be a problem????? The wine has been about 993 for a couple months...So...will be peeking at it for a couple weeks [fort-night]...we'll see if this 'chilling' will clear this wine.....Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Comment

Prairie Wine...I am not making 'shine'...but having been thinking about this coming fridgid weather we will be having and wondering about making some APPLE JACK....anyone ever made that???? Also have been unloding grain trucks for my hubby and looking at all that beautiful golden corn.....Has anyone ever made CORN WINE???? Se a recipe in Terry Geary's book for it....wonder how that tastes...????...if of anything....?

Comment

We made wheat wine, but I haven't tasted any for over a year. My other half won't let things age till they taste good. Haven't tried corn though. He wants to try sugar beets, but all I can think of is what the smell is coming from the processing plants!:dead:

Comment

Okay....an update.....After a night where the temps hovered at 32*F [0*C] I went out this morning to take a BEFORE & AFTER photo, I was about 24 hours late for the before photo. The wine had settled...instead of a carboy of Pepto-Pink hazy fuild I had 3/4ths Pepto Pink and the rest is a fairly nice colored wine....Who thought Cold Stablization up???? Think it has settled even more today...Thanks everyone here and other fourms for saving the fate of the hazy plum wine. Will leave it out till the temps get too cold. Thanks again to all of you and the fourms for being there for newbies like me.

Comment

Air lock antifreeze?

Sounds like this is working for you! I took a peak at my babies today (beet and a 5 gallon of pineapple) and I think the pineapple is about a month from bottling. I'm going to rack it next week then do a chill job on it. The last batch of pineapple I made I got an acid drop on it so off to the screen porch it will go. I don't have any solid bungs so I better place an order! Or, can I just put some cheap vodka in the air lock?

Comment

bung or airlock...

I would use airlocks just like normal. I use vodka in all mine, cold or not, Heaven Hill brand, very cheap.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Thanks! I figure if any fruit flies get into it they'll get to nipped to go beyond the vodka!

Comment

You could cap the airlock with those little red caps or plug with cottonwool as a precaution

Comment

Bob,

Which finings did you try? I have found that the brand Super Kleer works well for me. Remember, that the fining process is all about + and - charges. If you have something screwed up in the chemistry the normal fining process will be limited, if at all successful. With this said, problem wines that don't clear with Sparkoloid and such finings that are only one part, will respond well to those that are two part, such as Super Kleer.

Hal

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Maulden
                          Bob,

Which finings did you try? I have found that the brand Super Kleer works well for me. Remember, that the fining process is all about + and - charges. If you have something screwed up in the chemistry the normal fining process will be limited, if at all successful. With this said, problem wines that don't clear with Sparkoloid and such finings that are only one part, will respond well to those that are two part, such as Super Kleer.

Hal
                          You also need to have enough stuff in the mix for the fining agents to work on. If there is no sediment, then the fining agents have nothing to work on.

Pat

Comment

I will have a go with the two part stuff I got my hands on

see what happens

keep you posted

just reading in this months winemaker mag about + and - finings

interesting stuff

cheers me dears
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Did Your Wine Clear???

[25[/ATTACH]
                              Originally posted by lockwood1956
                              So into the fridge it goes.......

I'm expecting to get it to clear inside two to three weeks

thought i would post photos of the process

hoping it helps

Was wondering how your plum wine did??? After seeing your photos and with a bit of correspondence....I put a 5 gallon batch of 'Pepto Pink' cloudy Wild Plum Wine out into the Minnesota temperatures. The temps hovered around freezing for several days, then bounced around from 61*F [16*C] and tonight will be well below freezing, so brought it indoors. The first photo was after 24 hours, [Had missed the 'before' shot] it had settled so much I was in disbelief...since then it has slowed. Will rack it tomorrow or so...thank you so much for your pictorial and giving me the courage to super chill this wine....will be toasting you soon....Cheers!!!!24 hours.jpg

Back Indoors.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Concetta Cellars
                                I'm not sure what products you have available to you but there are two primary types. The first are ion positive and the second are ion negative agents. If you have a positive haze such as pectin you need a negative fining product to attract and settle out the haze. The same goes for a heavy lees problem in a grape wine. Betonite is the best for that application as another agent will only make the issue worse. If the first application in the correct dose didn't do it, it was the wrong product. So if you poke yourself in the eye and it hurts, don't do it again.

More info gang

Ion Positive finings

Isinglass
                                Egg whites
                                Keiselsol (also available in neg)
                                Gelatin

Ion Negative Finings

Keiselsol

Others

Bentonite...clay based settling agent

two part finings as Hal said are normally one + and one -

hope this helps.

regards
                                Bob
                                Last edited by lockwood1956; 18-11-2005, 04:39 PM.
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X