Grapefest 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress report:

Trebbiano and Sangiovese Rosé clearing after a month of my batonnage experiment.

Mrs. Goldseal's Cileguilio is clear and ready to bottle. We had a sneaky taste a couple of weeks ago, and decided to add a few oak cubes to the DJ and leave it a month.

Grenache: surprising, I thought this would be quite intense and heavy, given the consistency of the must. It tastes thin and uncomplicated, with a slight burnt aftertaste (maybe the oak?). I think this one may take a long time to come into its own.

Sangiovese: surprising, but in a good way. Soft, lots of fruit, enough tannin. I think this one will be drinkable much earlier than the Grenache.

Sangiovese 2nd run (skins + Magnum red kit): I'm still waiting for this to clear. The kit finings don't appear to have done the job, and I'm debating whether to give it some Kwik Clear. I think this is suffering from the quality of the base kit - a bit thin and uninspiring. Live and learn, and all that - maybe I'll use a mid-range kit next year.
    Last edited by goldseal; 18-11-2008, 01:20 PM.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• aging all of the reds for an extended period will prove beneficial
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        aging all of the reds for an extended period will prove beneficial
        That's my intention. I think I'll have to hide most of it though
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I got bored and decided to open a 1/2 bottle of the Sangiovese 2nd run tonight (Magnum med red kit plus skins).

Given that the kit was cheap and nasty, I think this stuff might be OK by the summer - a nice light, fruity summer red. Now, I must lock the rest of it away and forget about it for a few months
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• The Trebbiano is crystal clear and (I reckon) is ready to be bottled.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• ... well, it would be if it wasn't FULL of CO2.
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• ... which it isn't now. All bottled

Mrs. Goldseal has bottled her Ciliegiolo. Annoyingly (for me) it tastes the best of the three Grapefest reds. Perhaps I should get her to make all the wines in future.
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

• its taken me ages to stumble upon grapefest info, i'm intrigued and curious. when and where is it this year (yorkshire, sept? - you can send details to me in a PM if you wish or gimme a link to clicky, i have had a little look about but i'm either stoopid or lazy, hmm or both, as i cant find what i want), will you have any moscatel grapes (better half's favourite but i reckon she'd be interested too even if there weren't any).

sheepishly .... found the info i want .... i am stoopid!
                  To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                  A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the "where" since I live 4,000 miles away. I'm pretty sure it's in Yorkshire, though.

Have you checked out Goldseal's Virgin's Guide to GrapeFest?

Here is the link: http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=3069
                    Steve

Comment

• Thanks NW, i've now found a whole lotta info, including the virgin's guide
                      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• I'ts a great deal of fun....

bring a sleeping bag and sleep on some floor space afterwards, or stay at one of the nearby B&B places

everyone who has attended so far has said it was worthwhile
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• 18 months on, I thought it was time to taste the Grenache.

Fermentation was a bit problematic, with a couple of restart attempts when it stuck around 1.000.

A year ago I was almost at the point of binning it - it was tasted like grape juice mixed with vodka. 6 months ago it had started to take on wine-like qualities, but I could smell various ester-ish smells (at one point I thought it was acetone, but Mrs G disagreed).

Today - well, it's getting there. Not much on the nose, but the (non)acetone has gone, and it is a bit woody, and some blackcurrants. On the palate it is still very grape-y, but again there are blackcurrants.

Conclusion - I am finally learning the art of patience (thanks Bob), and will leave this well alone for another year
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                            18 months on, I thought it was time to taste the Grenache.

Fermentation was a bit problematic, with a couple of restart attempts when it stuck around 1.000.

A year ago I was almost at the point of binning it - it was tasted like grape juice mixed with vodka. 6 months ago it had started to take on wine-like qualities, but I could smell various ester-ish smells (at one point I thought it was acetone, but Mrs G disagreed).

Today - well, it's getting there. Not much on the nose, but the (non)acetone has gone, and it is a bit woody, and some blackcurrants. On the palate it is still very grape-y, but again there are blackcurrants.

Conclusion - I am finally learning the art of patience (thanks Bob), and will leave this well alone for another year
                            Hmmmm...
                            This sounds like your next wine judge Bob
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
                            X