No announcement yet.

Grapefest 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think really it ought 2 be 4 glasses, 1 of each, then 2 blends, 1 more parsnip, 1 more onion.

then run for the toilet, whilst drinking the prune wine.

Yes, i am bored. Drinking is limited, I've been left holding the baby whilst wifey gets some sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
      The fact is we need a list of people who are going to attend, difficult at this point i know, but the more attending can make this a weekend to remember, come on guy's try to be early and give us some figures to work with, even if you decide not to purchase grapes it's got to be worth meeting other winemakers/enthusiasts. There's no profit to be made by wines at home, we do it for the fun and encouraging others to get involved.
      Come on let us know who will be there?
      Well said Karl. Unless I am dead, I will be there and will more than likely bring stinky along as well. If it happens on the weekend that Bob mentioned, this is my weekend off and I will be available for duty from Friday afternoon (after sleeping the night shifts off) till Sunday night if required.

We had a good laugh last year and I think that the only thing that could have made it better would have been some food. For this year we deffo need to make time for r&r (wine comp/eating/drinking/mick taking etc) after the processing has been done so more pairs of hands are needed.

Less than 6 months to go!
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I would love to be able to come - i can bring some of my first efforts up with me and get a few valuable pointers from your good selves.

Where would the nearest Travelodge/Travelinn be to the venue? Any ideas? Especially as it's a bit far to travel 175 or so miles in a taxi LOL - although someone mentioned camping also?

Cheers!

Dave
        "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
          I would love to be able to come - i can bring some of my first efforts up with me and get a few valuable pointers from your good selves.

Where would the nearest Travelodge/Travelinn be to the venue? Any ideas? Especially as it's a bit far to travel 175 or so miles in a taxi LOL - although someone mentioned camping also?

Cheers!

Dave
          Great to hear, feel free to bring your wife / partner as many of us will have the other half there. There is a travel Lodge about 200 yards away, well within walking distance, I'll try to find more details and a phone number. Yes camping at the venue is free and no walking involved.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
            I have a list of available accommodation for the area, as my company use the local hotels all the time, i will post it on here in due course, and yes, camping in the Garden is fine...........

this is the closest hotel...its about 100 yards away

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

and the nearest travel inn is about 500 yards (there are two travel inns the one closest to my house is called the "turnpike"
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              I have a list of available accommodation for the area, as my company use the local hotels all the time, i will post it on here in due course, and yes, camping in the Garden is fine...........

this is the closest hotel...its about 100 yards away

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

and the nearest travel inn is about 500 yards (there are two travel inns the one closest to my house is called the "turnpike"
              Top Stuff, cheers Bob.

Duff, re bringing wife along, will see what she says - depends on if the grandparents will have the 2 kids for a sleepover!!! (They will be 4 and 1 respectively come September).

Definately looking forward to this - although i'll probably spend most of the time trying to absorb all the information i can with regard to grape brewing instead of kit/juice/fruit brewing!

Cheers!

Dave.
              "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

see here for advance info

and here

and here too!
                for Red wine http://wineserver.ucdavis.edu/pdf/HWM3.pdf for white wine http://wineserver.ucdavis.edu/pdf/HWM4.pdf scotlabs 2007 fermentation handbook http://www.scottlaboratories.com/products/fermentation/documents/ScottLabs_woprices_rv.pdf I'm having trouble downloading it, so I uploaded the 2006 version here
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

At "Grapefest"07 if I remember rightly, once the white grapes had been pressed, the skins were discarded. Would there be any benefit with adding the skins to a white wine kit?

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                    At "Grapefest"07 if I remember rightly, once the white grapes had been pressed, the skins were discarded. Would there be any benefit with adding the skins to a white wine kit?
                    No....skins in reds ok whites.........no
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And you wanna taste the Trebbiano to prove that, great stuff, crush press and ferment, viola
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                        If my reading has done me justice then no the skins will impart a green taste as in newly cut grass.
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

If my reading has done me justice then no the skins will impart a green taste as in newly cut grass.
                          And you wanna taste the Trebbiano to prove that, great stuff, crush press and ferment, viola
                          Thanks for that chaps, I think that I will have a go with some white grapes as well this year.

Comment

The local travell inn is listed as Pontefract North

the wentvale court is a really nice guest house/hotel, clean and tidy, good breakfast and run by a friendy couple.

hope this helps

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

What about a compitition too, Bob should be a qualified judge by then ?
                              YES HE IS!!!!

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And we all know who would win don't we

Comment

Working...
                                X