Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montepulciano 2007

Hi All
    The S.G on this wine is now .993 .It's taken about 14 days to get to this figure the average temp has been about 21 C throughout fermentation. Should I expect it to go any lower ?
    The Colour is just wonderful. At the moment I have it in a 5 Gallon carboy but there is a headspace of about 8 inch, I'm not sure if this is good thing, Should I rack it off into 1 Gallon demi's ?
    Thanks

I would not expect it to get any lower. Top up with your favorite same color wine.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by 13%ABV View Post
      Hi All
      The S.G on this wine is now .993 .It's taken about 14 days to get to this figure the average temp has been about 21 C throughout fermentation. Should I expect it to go any lower ?
      The Colour is just wonderful. At the moment I have it in a 5 Gallon carboy but there is a headspace of about 8 inch, I'm not sure if this is good thing, Should I rack it off into 1 Gallon demi's ?
      Thanks

Are you at the degassing stage and fining stage? Cheers DAW

Comment

Ooops...I reckon I didn't realize we was talking about a kit. Sorry!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

No its from the same grapes in my batch.

Mark rack it into 1 gallon DJ's so there is no headspace, I dont think it is going to get any lower than 0.993 so I would rack and add either 1 campden tablet or 5ml 10% sulphite solution per gallon, and let it sit for 6 months or so.
          you can either degass it...or leave it to degass itself, With the grape wines I have been letting them degass themselves but may intervene this year once MLF has finished.

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

6 months? You mean it won't be ready for xmas then?

Mine is sitting in 1 gallon jugs in the garage, at the back of the table, to be forgotten about for a while, just a little check every so often that the airlocks and bungs are ok.

Rich

Comment

Well you can drink it at Christmas, and it will be OK

It will really come into its own after two to three years.

regards
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

headspace

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                I would not expect it to get any lower. Top up with your favorite same color wine.

Why not rack, add the sulphite, and top up with similar wine? What is the advantage of having the 1 gallons instead of bulk? Is the 8" including the neck of the carboy too much topping up ya think?

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Headspace

As you can see there is alot of space in the carboy. I'll have to put it into 1 gal dj's as I don't have any similar wine as yet to top up with. This is from the same grapes that Bob has, I'm in no rush with this wine I intend to let it develop to it's full potential. If it takes 2 to3 years then so be it. Just a pitty theres not alot more of it

Cheers Mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yep transfer to smaller vessal/s Mark, a little too much space there for topping up
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Yep. That is like a 2/3rds full carboy. Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words?

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Racked under vacuum in order to aid degassing......

after racking losses Karl and I have 29 gallons

life is good
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Is that like 150 bottles?

awesome
                          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

29 gallons should be nearer to 174 bottles..

1 imp gallon should yield 6 bottles.

That is good going Bob.

Really ought to go and rack mine off again..

Rich

Comment

Working...
                            X