No announcement yet.

Pear wine yeast problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any new yeast, just the stuff I tried the first time (in date).
    The temerature was 25c when yeast was added to starter.
    I never measured the s.g. after I added the sugar, I just assumed that by adding the right amount of suger it would go to 1080 (so I can't now be sure if it was at 1080 or not)
    I don't have the pear in a straining bag because i'm going to use a sieve to collect it out of the primary.
    I'm going to check the s.g again tomorrow, and in the mean time going to try another starter. I'm afraid if that one doen't work i'm going to have to use a sachet of GP wine yeast.

cheers
    Be luckysigpic

Comment

I think that the must is fermenting now, lots of bubbles when I stir it and the solids are at the top.

Hallelujah
      Be luckysigpic

Comment

Yay, remember to stir twice a day and strain / transfer to carbouy / d/j under airlock at sg 1.020 ish, good luck.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Ya!!! ValD - success .. Cheers first one is exciting. The rest of the process is better yet. DAW

Comment

Here is two photo's;

first one is before stirring and the second one after. It is a little full but once the pear solids are out it should be about 23L.

cheers
            Be luckysigpic

Comment

Result!

keep us posted on its progress
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Awesome pics. Kinda full. Do you have a resource for straining bags there?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Thanks, Will do Bob

Thanks Hippie, I couldn't find any straining bags at the brew shop. My girlfriend has those ones for putting bra's in the washing machine but they are a little small so I never bothered.
                  Be luckysigpic

Comment

Also too coarse mesh. Need fine mesh. Nylon paint straining bags from a hardware or paint store work very well.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

I like the pics also. Hope it does not start to overflow on you. Keep loose lid on, stir and squish twice daily; measure SG in approx 7 days after the start of fermentation. when SG at 1.020-1.030 rack to clean, sterilized glass carboy and attach air lock. It will be best to remove all whats left of the quince - squish through nylon straining softly to get the remaining juices. You will then be on your way to another approximately 14 days of the secondary alcohol fermentation process at which time the SG will be at 1.000 or below and time for a new procedure. Cheers DAW

Comment

nice tip Hippie, I'll need to have a look.

Thanks Stocky, Luckily its not overflowed yet.
                        The s.g was 1.060 on friday, 1.040 saturday, and today its 1.027.
                        I think i'm going to strain out the pear tonight then leave it to settle, and tomorrow stick it in the carboys.
                        Be luckysigpic

Comment

Right on ValD - good ferment so far there. Cheers DAW

Comment

I agree, and good call to go ahead with pressing!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Well I did strain it last night, heres a couple of photo's;

what I took out

and what was left

I put the lid back on the bucket with air lock and its bubbling away, bubbles every 10-20 seconds. Should I wait till it settles down a bit before I put it into the demijohns?

The s.g. is now 1015.
                              Be luckysigpic

Comment

If your demi john is 23 ltr then yes transfer under airlock, if only 1 gal ones then it's best to leave it where it is under airlock until fermented out.
                                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X