3 LB. Raspberries (fresh or frozen)
    7 Pts. Water
    2 1/4 Lb. Sugar
    1/2 Tsp. Acid Blend
    1/2 Tsp. Pectic Enzyme
    1 Tsp. Nutrient
    1 Campden Tablet
    1 pkg. Wine Yeast

Add all ingredients except yeast in primary and cover. Wait 24 hours, add yeast. Stir daily, check hydrometer reading. When S.G. reaches 1.030 strain juice from bag. Syphon to glass secondary. When S.G. reaches 1.000, syphon again. Makes a dry wine. Sweeten to taste and add 1/2 Tsp. Stabilizer & Meta.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 03-12-2005, 12:34 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

B.C A.Turner recipe (Boots home wine making 1977)

2 3/4 lbs ripe raspberries
    1/2 pint red grape concentrate
    2 lb sugar
    6 pints water
    1 tsp pectic enzyme
    campden tablets
    yeast nutrient
    General purpose yeast

NO ACID OR TANNIN REQD

1. stalk and wash the raspberries, place them in primary fermenter and pour 5 pints hot water over them.

2. when cool mash them, add 1 crushed campden tablet and 1 tsp pectic enzyme, cover and leave for 24 hours.

3. Stir in the grape concentrate, yeast nutrient and yeast, ferment on the pulp for 5 days stiiring twice daily.

4. Strain out the fruit, stir in the sugar, pour into a demijohn, top up, fit airlock and fernment to S.G. 1.002

5.Rack into a clean demijohn, add 2 crushed campden tablets to terminate fementation since this wine is best when not too dry.

Mature for 1 year.

for a sweet wine add 2 1/2 lbs of sugar and rack at 1.016 it is unwise to use too many raspberries since there is a change of flavour during fermentation, the same is true of fresh strawberries

thats the recipe as it is in the book.

If I was making it I would alter it a bit.

At step 2 I would add the campden tablet and wait 12 hours then add the pectic enzyme, I would also probably add 1 1/2 tsp of it.

At step 4 I would ferment to dry

At step 5 I would add pottasium sorbate to stop ferment and add only 1 campden tablet...then sweeten to taste.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 03-12-2005, 12:35 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956

Add all ingredients except yeast in primary and cover. Wait 24 hours, add yeast.
      Being the impatient sort would i still need to leave it for 24 hrs if using frozen fruit from a shop ?
      Last edited by Habanero; 03-12-2005, 02:15 PM. Reason: missed a word out
      I drink therefore I am.

Comment

Another recipe, this one lifted from the RJ Spagnols site

Raspberry Wine

Adapted from 'Winemaking' by Stanley F. and Dorothy Anderson
        The raspberries must be frozen first, then thawed in fine straining bags to prevent the seeds from spoiling the wine.
        Ingredients for 23 litres (5 Imp. Gallons)
        • 8.2 kg (18 lbs) Frozen raspberries
        • 3.5 kg (7.6 lbs) Sugar
        • 20 g (5 tsp) Acid Blend
        • 7.5 litres (7.5 quarts) HOT water
        • 11 g (2 1\2 tsp) Yeast nutrient
        • 12.5 ml (2 1\2 tsp) Liquid tannin
        • 7 g (2 1\2 tsp) Pectic enzyme
        • 1.5 g (1\4 tsp) Potassium metabisulphite
        • 10 litres (10 quarts) cold water
        • 1 pkg Lalvin Narbonne yeast
        • 1 pkg Enolophin 2 part finings
        • 1.5 g (1\4 tsp) Potassium metabisulphite
        • 360 ml (12 oz) Wine conditioner
        Equipment
        • standard wine making equipment
        • fine mesh straining bags
        Instructions
        1. When the raspberries have thawed, squeeze the straining bags as dry as possible and collect the juice. Discard the pulp.
        2. Place the raspberry juice in the primary fermenter. Add the hot water, sugar, and acid blend.
        3. Stir thoroughly until all the sugar is dissolved.
        4. Add the next 5 ingredients. Mix well.
        5. Use your hydrometer to check the specific gravity of your must. It should be 1.070.
        6. When the must is at 23°C (74°F), rehydrate the yeast EXACTLY as per the package instructions and stir in.
        7. Cover the fermenter with a lid or plastic sheet, and keep in a place that is 23°C (75°F).
        8. After 24 hrs, remove as much floating pulp as possible with a colander.
        9. When the SG reaches 1.020, after about 6 days, rack into a clean and sanitized carboy, top up with cold tap water and attach bung and airlock.
        10. Move to a cooler location, about 18°C (65°F).
        11. After 10 days, or when the SG is at 1.000, whichever comes first, rack into a clean and sanitized carboy and top up with cold tap water.
        12. After 3 weeks, rack into a clean and sanitized carboy, add enolophin 2 part finings as per the package instructions, top up if needed with cold tap water, and leave for 10 days.
        13. Rack into a clean and sanitized carboy and add 1\4 tsp potassium metabisulphite (dissolve first in 1\4 cup wine), stir well and top up if needed.
        14. Age in carboy for 2 months.
        15. Add wine conditioner.
        16. Age in bottles for 3 months.

Comment

To make only 1 Imp gallon instead of 5 Imp would I simply divided all of the ingredients by 5? don't think I will be getting 18lbs of berries..it is a small patch that I have. 3.6Lbs possible but not 18lbs.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID
            Is there a reason why the starting sg is 1070 ?
            Fruit wines are frequently more enjoyable when the alcohol level is lower. 1.070 still provides around 9%.

The lower alcohol level will also allow the wine to be drinkable sooner.

JC;
            You would divide all ingrediaents by 5 except the yeast. One package will do the trick for volumes up to 23 litres.

Pat

Comment

Dumb question #unending. If you use 1 pkg yeast for volumes up to 23 litres, wouldn't you also use the same quanity of yeast nutrient? (in this case 2 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient...
              JC

Comment

Originally posted by Habanero
                Being the impatient sort would i still need to leave it for 24 hrs if using frozen fruit from a shop ?

Yes. It's to give the enzym time to work
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl
                  Yes. It's to give the enzym time to work
                  I see, never thought of that. I thought it might have been to let the campden tablet do its job, which may not be needed if it was frozen fruit. Thanks.
                  I drink therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    RASPBERRY:

3 LB. Raspberries (fresh or frozen)
                    7 Pts. Water
                    2 1/4 Lb. Sugar
                    1/2 Tsp. Acid Blend
                    1/2 Tsp. Pectic Enzyme
                    1 Tsp. Nutrient
                    1 Campden Tablet
                    1 pkg. Wine Yeast

Add all ingredients except yeast in primary and cover. Wait 24 hours, add yeast. Stir daily, check hydrometer reading. When S.G. reaches 1.030 strain juice from bag. Syphon to glass secondary. When S.G. reaches 1.000, syphon again. Makes a dry wine. Sweeten to taste and add 1/2 Tsp. Stabilizer & Meta.
                    I went fruit picking yesterday, and I plan to make a raspberry wine, I'm curious to know if anyone has used the above recipe, and if so, how did it turn out?
                    I'm curious as to why it doesn't have any grape juice or grape concentrate in it, or does raspberry wine not need the extra body to make a good wine?

Confused of Lincs...
                    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I would like as much info as possible planning a raspberry wine next

Comment

Well, unless anyone come up with any other bright ideas, I guess I'll have to use the recipe I've got, and then use the first one Bob posted on here, and see what the difference is between using grape concentrate and not using any.
                        I don't have time this week to go back to the PYO to get more raspberries, so I've got to choose which recipe to do first... (but at least I'll have 2 gallons of wine instead of the intended 1 gallon... hic...)

Decisions, decisions!
                        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

So, did anyone have a go at the raspberry wine?
                          My autumn fruiting rasps are heading towards ripening and look fat & juicy. Can't wait till they're ready for picking and wondered if anyone has made this yet?

Comment

I started a recipe pretty much identical to that a week ago using 3lbs of wild raspberries I found growing on a roadside. It's still in the primary at the moment, but smells good.

I have high hopes for it, but am heeding Jack Keller's warning:

"This is an excellent dry wine, but don't rush it! You must ferment the full 6 months and age another year."

Comment

I was going through my wine cupboard this morning and came across this, it's been sitting in the back since January when I last looked at it. There was a very fine sediment at the bottom so I racked, and of course had a little taste as I did - from the sip I had it tastes pretty amazing. It has a lovely light raspberry taste to it.

I started it in August last year so it has definitely had the 6 months fermenting. I'm going to bottle it soon and I'll be sorely tempted to drink a couple, even if Mr Keller says not to touch it for another year!

Hey Lush - did you make your two types? I'd be interested to know how they turned out.

Comment

Working...
                              X