Peach wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peach wine

I s'pose I should list the recipe. Very simply...

20 pounds locally grown freestone peaches
    8 pounds cane sugar
    4 gallons spring water
    4 crushed campden tablets
    5 grams Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast
    4 tsp. tartaric acid
    1 tsp. tannin powder
    6 tsp. yeast nutrient
    3 tsp. pectic enzyme powder

starting SG 1.084 @ 70*F pH 4.4

Introduced yeast starter 12 hours after making it. Stirring twice daily until I take out the pulp bag. Currently fermenting faster than I wanted in a 68*F room at 70*F. Warming itself up quite nicely, but not my intention. Intention is to have a slow, cool fermentation.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Had to check........

....on the jug of Peach since you posted this thread.

What a nice suprise, after 7 months of maturing the peach flavour is just starting to come through, had my doubts at the end of fermentation as it tasted of er.... nothing (have read elsewhere that Peach is prone to this ?)

Comment

Hippie - Is this a 3 gallon recipe? Just curious.

This year I wanna do fresh peaches. My canned peach recipe I used turbinado sugar.

Comment

Yes, 5 gallons. David, you are so right on with that peach wine. It is wierd that it turns out so clear like a white wine (stubborn, but eventually), but requires at least a year in the bottle to let loose it's peachy flavor and/or aroma. I am gonna sweeten this one up a tad more than I usually do peach wines. As you might see from the recipe, it is meant to be a lighter, milder wine. I have made peach wine as high as 16% abv with alot of tannin and acid. I could not keep it because everyone loved it, but not one bottle ever stored long enough to really have reached it's potential. Crying again...
        REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

gettin' there...

I took out the pulp bag this morning and let 'er drip out and discarded. Luckily, the trash truck comes today. A bag of pulp can really get to stinkin'!
          It's lookin' perty good!

Attached Files
          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

I can smell it and I'm not even there.

Comment

Yea it smells pretty good, Jojo. The ferment is still quite rampant as the room is 68*F and the wine is 72*F. I was hoping for a cooler, slower ferment. At least now I won't have to take off the lid and stir twice daily with the pulp gone, and the bucket is full enough that I can let it go to almost dry before transferring to the carboy. This K1-V1116 is quite the low foamer. I think I like it. Believe it or not, this is my first go round with it. So far the taste and aroma are great without any sensory defects noted.
              REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

I'm curious about the different strains of yeast. My dried cranberry is still fermenting on its fourth week. The RC212 hardly foams and stinks like sulfur. I stir and the smell goes away, but returns over time.

So far everyone really digs my canned peach. It went clear nice and I sweetened it up a bit, but not like Boones Farm sweet - a little less.

I can't wait to try fresh fruit. Do you always freeze your fruit beforehand?

Comment

Yes. I have proven to myself over and over that frozen then thawed fruit is way easier to work with and also seems to be easily broken down by the action of fermentation. Some fruits, like berries, just turn to mush when thawed after they have been frozen for a few weeks and seems to be little reason to process further before putting all into a mesh bag. Actually, in the case of blackberries where crushing just a few seeds can cause extreme bitterness in the wine, I recommend just adding it all to the mesh bag and then mashing with hands, after thawing completely, of course. I hope my extreme use of commas does not complicate this posting!
                  REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

racked to secondary vessel...

Racked to a 6.5 gallon carboy this morning, SG .994 @ 68*F. Added a tsp. yeast nutrient. Seems to be continuing to ferment slowly. Tastes and smells good with no bad flavors or aromas noted. About 5.5 gallons total volume.

Attached Files
                    REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

The peaches I used to make may batch last year were very very ripe and just pulped up in my hands

its sitting looking nice and clear. I must bottle it sometime soon, i may filter it first. will post pics when i do

cheers
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I think overripe peaches are the trick to making good peach wine as long as they are not all bruised up or have rotten or moldy spots.
                        REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Jojo, how did your peach wine turn out? I would like to make some using canned peaches but do not have a recipe. Could you post the one that you used? Not sure if I will do a 1 gallon or 3 so would you make recommendations on how to change the recipe?

I am new at this so detailed plans help so much

Thanks

Comment

I would always go for the larger option, you will only wish you made more later.

I think I have a canned peach recipe somewhere, I will dig it out and post it

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Brewster
                              Jojo, how did your peach wine turn out? I would like to make some using canned peaches but do not have a recipe. Could you post the one that you used? Not sure if I will do a 1 gallon or 3 so would you make recommendations on how to change the recipe?

I am new at this so detailed plans help so much

Thanks
                              It's Jack Kellers recipe, but I substituted turbinado sugar.

32 oz canned peaches or pears
                              2 lbs granulated sugar (approximate)
                              1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
                              2 tsp. acid blend
                              1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
                              1/4 tsp. grape tannin
                              3-1/2 qts. water
                              1 crushed Campden tablet
                              1 tsp. yeast nutrient
                              Champagne yeast

I did 5 gallons. I used sparrkelloid to finish it.

It's the best fruit wine yet. My wife and her friends are locked on target, but I keep telling to wait for it to age more.

I didn't filter it at all. Just kept racking every so often. It finally got to the point where no more sediment existed. The hardest part of this business of making wine is patience. Time is everything.

I'm digging it. This summer I am gonna go peach hunting and work a bigger batch for the cellar. I've been wondering if adding vanilla bean woudl improve it. The first few months it tasted like rocket fuel, real edgy and strong. Now it rocks - it's mellowed out and the aroma is there.

Post your stuff when it comes time!

Comment

Working...
                              X