• 1 Can (large) CWE plum wine concentrate
    • 5 tsp acid blend
    • 7 tsp pectic enzyme
    • 5 tsp yeast nutrient
    • 3 Vitamin B1 tablets
    • 1 tsp grape tannin
    • 5 Campden Tablets
    • water to 30 litres
    • wine yeast (I’m going to use Lalvin EC1118)
    Put water on to boil. Wash the fruit, cut in halves ( 30lbs of Plums takes a lot of de-stoning) to remove the seeds, then chop fruit and put in primary. Pour boiling water over fruit. Add the sugar and stir well to dissolve. Cover and allow to cool to 70 degrees F. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme, tannin, nutrient, and energizer, campden tablets, cover, and wait 24 hours before adding yeast. Recover primary and allow to ferment 5-7 days, stirring twice daily. (While stirring crush as much fruit by hand as possible) Strain, transfer to secondary, top up to 23 litres, adjust S.G. as necessary, (start S.G. was 1.110, so once fruit removed and topped up, should equate hopefully to start S.G. of 1.088…if my calculations are correct!!!) and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days, top up, refit airlock and repeat every 30 days until wine clears. Wait two additional weeks, rack again, stabilize wine, bottle. This wine can be sampled after only 6 months. If not up to expectations, let age another 6 months and taste again.

WATCH THIS SPACE

pictures in photo section
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 19-10-2005, 09:12 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

This is the last time I will use boiling water, here we are nearly a year into it and it still hasn't cleared.

I have just left it sitting in the hope time would make it fall clear, but to no avail, so intervention with extra pectolase is going to be the next course of action.
    I will take pics of the process and post them.

Also from now on I'm going to use more pectolase rather than less, too much shouldn't be a problem....not enough certainly is.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

From Jack Kellers site...

The first recipe below makes a dry table wine. The second one makes a high-alcohol sweet (dessert) wine. With both wines, sulfite initially and after every other racking.

PLUM WINE (1)
      6 lbs plums
      1-1/2 lbs fine granulated sugar
      Water to one gallon
      1-1/2 tsp acid blend
      1 tsp pectic enzyme
      3/4 tsp yeast nutrient
      1/4 tsp yeast energizer
      1/8 tsp grape tannin
      wine yeast
      Put water on to boil. Wash the fruit, cut in halves to remove the seeds, then chop fruit and put in primary. Pour boiling water over fruit. Add the sugar and stir well to dissolve. Cover and allow to cool to 70 degrees F. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme, tannin, nutrient, and energizer, cover, and wait 12 hours before adding yeast. Recover primary and allow to ferment 5-7 days, stirring twice daily. Strain, transfer to secondary, and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days, top up, refit airlock and repeat every 30 days until wine clears. Wait two additional weeks, rack again, stabilize wine, bottle. This wine can be sampled after only 6 months. If not up to expectations, let age another 6 months and taste again. I have aged plum wine up to four years and the result was exquisite, but that was only because the wine got covered with blankets and was forgotten. I suspect it was ready long before it took on its heavenly quality. [Jack Keller's notes and adaptation from Dorothy Alatorre's Home Wines of North America]

PLUM WINE (2)

6 lbs plums
      3-1/2 lbs fine granulated sugar
      Water to one gallon
      1-1/2 tsp acid blend
      1 tsp pectic enzyme
      1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
      1/2 tsp yeast energizer
      1/4 tsp grape tannin
      wine yeast
      Put water on to boil. Wash the fruit, cut in halves to remove the seeds, then chop fruit and put in primary. Pour boiling water over fruit. Add half the sugar and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Cover and allow to cool to 70 degrees F. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme, tannin, nutrient, and energizer, cover, and wait 12 hours before adding yeast. Recover primary and allow to ferment 5-7 days, stirring twice daily. Strain, stir in half remaining sugar to dissolve, syphon into secondary, and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days, add remaining sugar, stir well to dissolve sugar, top up, and refit airlock. Rack every 30-45 days until wine clears. Wait two additional weeks, rack again, stabilize wine, and bottle. This wine can be sampled after only 6 months. If not up to expectations, let age another 6 months and taste again. I have aged plum wine up to four years and the result was exquisite, but that was only because the wine got covered with blankets and was forgotten. I suspect it was ready long before it took on its heavenly quality. [Jack Keller's notes and adaptation from Dorothy Alatorre's Home Wines of North America]

If you have enough plums, make several batches of wine varying the sugar content (3-1/2 lbs, 3-1/4 lbs, 3 lbs, etc. -- the wine will be sweet until you get to 2-3/4 lbs, but progressively less and less). Be sure to mark the bottle labels so you'll know which is which. In this way, you will later be able to determine which sugar content best suits your taste.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

What happened to this wine in the end Bob? I'm going to have access to alot of Damson's this year so will be knocking up something with them.

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
          What happened to this wine in the end Bob? I'm going to have access to alot of Damson's this year so will be knocking up something with them.
          MMmmm Damson Brandy......
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
            What happened to this wine in the end Bob? I'm going to have access to a lot of Damson's this year so will be knocking up something with them.

thank you.......

I spent some time yesterday looking for this thread, as Danina and I were drinking a bottle of it.......

as far as plum wine goes it is good, but still has that plum "sharpness" about it, it would be helped by being sweetened a little. This wine took the longest time to clear, and wouldn't degass easily either (it didn't finally clear till it was fully degassed)

will I make it again?

no

too much trouble for an end product that is just ok....but I have another 5 gallons of it bulk ageing, we will see how it tastes next year.

I also have some Damson wine in bulk which I think is going to be better....will let you know, hoping to filter and bottle it soon.

regards
            Bob
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 23-06-2008, 01:35 PM.
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              as fart as plum wine goes it is good,

regards
              Bob

gives you wind does it ?
              I wish I was a glow worm
              Cos a glow worm's never glum
              It's hard to be unhappy
              When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

ROFL
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Lol!! Get the damson wine sorted asap otherwise i'll just be making loads of damson jam!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                    gives you wind does it ?

Well now you come to mention it.....
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Have you managed to bottle the Damson wine yet Bob?

Comment

Comment

Oooo

didnt spot this till now....

no not yet, I have approx 200 gallon in the queue before the damson, and three wine shows and grapefest in september, I wouldn't think it will be bottled before October

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

200 gallons, jeez!!!!

Comment

Well I have about 350 gallons in bulk....but I need to rack and bottle 200 of it this year
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X