Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come to grapefest and you can drink some of it
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Wherdo you store it all?

Comment

well...I could tell you

but then I would need to take a contract out on you
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I know.
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

O-oh, watch your back
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Mwahahahahaha
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

OK 2 years since the last post on this however I have a plan (and access to lots of free wild plums around the area).
                Do you reckon it is worth trying the following.
                Start a wine base type fermentation going, fairly neutral in flavour (probably with Apple Juice only).
                In parallel mash and cold soak my plums (ouch!) to extract juice and flavour.
                When the wine base hits 1010 ish, add the plum juice to the mix and ferment out as normal i.e. late plum addition.
                I thought about trying this alongside a boiled equivalent to see the differences but as below think that the pectin will be a bit pesky in this case.

Worth a go?
                Simon
                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

You could do that but wouldn't you get better extraction by adding them at the beginning of the fermentation? I would really avoid using boiling water, its just not worth it.

Did you ever get round to that Damson wine Bob?

Comment

lol
                    no I didn't I really must sort that out soon.
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
                      You could do that but wouldn't you get better extraction by adding them at the beginning of the fermentation?
                      Thanks and this would normally be the way I would play it but with all the the discussions around late additions to avoid blowing off the flavours I thought it might be worth a try?

I could of course wait until 1010 to add all the (mashed) plums and try that out.

Agreed on the boiling water issue.

Thanks again.
                      Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I've always read that fermenting (red) plums on the pulp was necessary to extract colour from the skins, so have always done it that way (plums are the only fruit I ferment on the pulp).

But couldn't that still be done, and some of the juice that runs from the de-frosting frozen, stoned plums be held back (sulphited & re-frozen) for late addition?
                        Last edited by David; 27-07-2010, 08:10 PM.
                        My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Is the general consensus that plum wine isn't worth the trouble? I did a stock-check in the freezer over the weekend, Mrs Toulouse & I are fighting over rights to the red-currants & black-currants (jam seems to be winning) but there are 2kg of plums in there and the same amount of blackberries.
                          Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                          Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Pick your fights. Let her have the plums ( and the parsnips )
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I have about 4kg of Damsons in my freezer that I was planning to ferment but am now unsure how to proceed.

One thought I had was to start 1kg of Elderberries off and then add 1kg of Damsons as a late addition so I should have good colour from the Elderberries and a nice flavour from the Damsons.

Another thought was maybe a wine no2 with Damsons as a late addition or just do a conventional Damson pulp ferment....decisions, decisions.....

Rob

Comment

I reckon Plum jam is the way forward
                                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                                X