7 lbs sugar
    3 sticks crushed cinnamon sticks
    3 inches sliced ginger root
    0.75 tsp tannin powder
    3 level tsp yeast nutrient
    2.5 oz acid blend
    1.5 tsp pectin enzyme
    1 packet of Lalvin K1-V1116 (Montpellier) yeast

Instructions: 1. Wash and sanitize all utensils.
    2. Boil 3 gallons of water and dissolve 5 lbs of sugar into water.
    3. Add pumpkin, raisins, cinnamon, ginger to empty primary fermenter.
    4. Pour boiling water into primary fermenter, stir well and let cool to room temp.
    5. When primary is room temperature add tannin powder, and pectin enzyme.
    6. Add 2.5 oz acid blend to primary and stir well.
    7. Check specific gravity. Should be 1.085 - 1.095. Add sugar to raise if necessary.
    8. Check acid. Acid level should be between 6 and 7 p.p.t. Add acid if necessary. (0.12 oz of acid blend will raise the acidity in 1 gallon of wine by 1 p.p.t.).
    9. Let sit overnight.
    10. Create yeast starter: 2 cups water, 2 tbsp sugar, .5 tsp yeast nutrient, .25 tsp acid blend, yeast pkg.
    11. Stir well and check acid and sugar levels one more time.
    12. Pitch yeast starter and yeast nutrient.
    13. Stir and measure daily until SG is 1.020 SG or less.
    14. When SG is 1.020 SG or less, rack or strain into secondary.
    15. Allow to ferment out.
    16. When fermentation has ceased,sulphite and sorbate and proceed as you normally would,sweeten to desired SG / taste
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

more questions ....

is there a preferred pumpkin type?

any chance of a brief description of the result?

cheers
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

and more questions (sorry )

how finely/coarsely should i chop the pumpkin?

do i need to chop the raisins?
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by ms67 View Post
        and more questions (sorry )

how finely/coarsely should i chop the pumpkin?

do i need to chop the raisins?
        I always chop raisins before they go in. Inch cubes or smaller for the pumpkin I'd thought.

Comment

cheers

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          I always chop raisins before they go in. Inch cubes or smaller for the pumpkin I'd thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
            As long as the pumpkin flesh has been thoroughly de-seeded then there's no reason why you can't put it all into a food processor for a rough chopping, it would probably allow the pectolase to get to the "good stuff" quicker (raisins as well).......

If you don't chop it too finely then it shouldn't be an issue when filtering/straining.......

regards

jtfb
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              As long as the pumpkin flesh has been thoroughly de-seeded then there's no reason why you can't put it all into a food processor for a rough chopping, it would probably allow the pectolase to get to the "good stuff" quicker (raisins as well).......

If you don't chop it too finely then it shouldn't be an issue when filtering/straining.......
              thanks JtFB, you've now got me wondering about some of my assumptions tho !

I have long thought that cooking pectin laden fruit/veg too long releases too much pectin which causes problems with clearing later on. And that chopping too finely has the same effect as its harder to gauge when the correct cooking time has come and gone (softness/breaking up of fruit/veg). On the reverse side of the coin undercooking doesn't extract enough flavour. So there is a balance to be struck which is one part of the art/craft/science of brewing.

Are my assumptions wrong, or am i simply being too general and pumpkin is not such a problem with pectin and flavours?

Comment

What is Acid Blend?

Comment

Acid blend is usually
                  60% tatraric
                  30% citric
                  10% malic

I dont use it any more, preferring tartaric mainly, but use citric too if i want a fruity zing!
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Ah, so its old school?

I want to make this wine, what acid do you reccommend I use and how much? Except for getting rid of my victims, and people who don't like my wine, I'm still struggling with acid.

Thank you kindly.

Comment

And and, I want substitute the raisins with two lires of white grape juice, will this work ok?

Ok, no more questions your honour.

Comment

Is this wine any good ?
                        Or is the pumpkin best for soup and cakes ?
                        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

When I made it, almost exactly a year ago, it came out as a nice white, but not very pumpkiny.

Comment

I know when I normally make soup or cakes with it, I roast the pumpkin first, as it really helps concentrate the flavour
                            I might try and make some doing that first, .... and maybe put a fair bit of spice in
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
                            X