No announcement yet.

Elderberry wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are both causing much laughter here!

jojo, you made me hafta say it! Put it away somewhere dark and cool and forget about it for a few weeks!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Wel, it's all suited up and ready - shoot it up to outer space for a few orbits, Should be ready when it comes down again.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

i was actually thinking of one of those giant medieval catapults

properly plugged of course
        with a chute landing in water

Comment

I found this recipe on a Dutch site. What do you think?

Elderberry Wine (recipe for 10 litres)

2700 gram Elderberrys
          2000 gram Sugar
          800 gram Bannana
          2 tsp Yeast nutrient
          2 tsp Citric acid
          2 tsp tartaric acid
          2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
          1 packet Bordeaux yeast (dry wine) or Tokay (medium)

Strip the berrys from the stalks. Throw away unripe berrys. Crush berrys in a large pan and add 5 litre water. Bring to the boil and let simmer at a low heat for 20 minutes without lid. Cool the pan off by placing it in some cold water. Strain into carboy. Cut the bannanas fine and cook softly in 2 litre water for 20 minutes then strain into carboy. Make sirup from the 2 kg suger with 2 litre water, once cool add to carboy. Now add yeast nutrient, tartaric acid and pectic enzyme to carboy. Stopper with cotton wool and wait 12 hours then add yeast. Again stopper with cotton wool, after 2 days replace with air lock. After it is fermented completly rack. When crystal clear bottle. Leave 6 months to ripen.
          Be luckysigpic

Comment

Originally posted by valleydaz View Post
            I found this recipe on a Dutch site. What do you think?

Elderberry Wine (recipe for 10 litres)

2700 gram Elderberrys
            2000 gram Sugar
            800 gram Bannana
            2 tsp Yeast nutrient
            2 tsp Citric acid
            2 tsp tartaric acid
            2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
            1 packet Bordeaux yeast (dry wine) or Tokay (medium)

Strip the berrys from the stalks. Throw away unripe berrys. Crush berrys in a large pan and add 5 litre water. Bring to the boil and let simmer at a low heat for 20 minutes without lid. Cool the pan off by placing it in some cold water. Strain into carboy. Cut the bannanas fine and cook softly in 2 litre water for 20 minutes then strain into carboy. Make sirup from the 2 kg suger with 2 litre water, once cool add to carboy. Now add yeast nutrient, tartaric acid and pectic enzyme to carboy. Stopper with cotton wool and wait 12 hours then add yeast. Again stopper with cotton wool, after 2 days replace with air lock. After it is fermented completly rack. When crystal clear bottle. Leave 6 months to ripen.
            My opinion: leave out the banana and the citric. Increase the acid if you have to with more tartaric and add a malic such as red grape concentrate or other malic fruit at 10-20 % of the elderberry fruit used. Measure acid and pH before pitching the yeast along with the SG and adjust as necessary. Do not boil the fruit! My opinion Cheers DAW

Comment

Started one tonight!

1300 gr dried elderberries
              Sugar to an SG 1.080
              Water to 15 liters
              2 tsp of nutrient
              2 tsp of energizer
              5 tsp acid (perhaps a bit much)
              0 tannin!
              3 tsp pectic enzyme
              Montrachet yeast (or Lalvin 71B-1122 is good too. If you need it in the UK, check out Ebay)

will keep you posted!!
              Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
              Twitter: VirtualWineO
              Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

lots and lots of Elderberry recipes here
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Picked 6lb of elderberries last year and made 2 lots of elderberry wine have bottled one galloon (other still in dj) and back sweetened it a tad its turned out more of a rose but had a bottle last night and i think it is lovelly would recommend it to anyone who is doing a berry wine for the first time you just need patience with it but i enjoyed making it immensley and now i will enjoy drinking it immensley i think i will leave the other dj for another 2-3 Months before bottling it

Comment

Elderberry & blackberry,recipe ingredients for 2 gallon.
                    Elderberries-3kg.
                    Blackberries-500g.
                    Red grape juice-2lt.
                    Sugar-1.7kg.
                    Youngs super wine yeast compound-2tsp(1 per DJ)
                    water.
                    Method: take the elderberries off the storks and add to a pan with the blackberries and fill with water bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 min,then strain the berries with very fine muslin in to a large FV and add the sugar and stir until the sugar as dissolved then cover and leave to cool,when cool add to the DJs with the grape juice and yeast top up to the neck with cold water,fit airlock and fully ferment out.
                    when fermenting as stopped rack and mature for at least 12 months. elderberry&blackberry wine,

Comment

I imagine you'll need to put plenty of pectolase in there since you have boiled the fruit...

Comment

A long time ago I know but can you remember what recipe you used? Just trying to build a few recipe's up as I've got just over 20lb of elderberries in the freezer crying out to be fermented!!

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                        Picked 6lb of elderberries last year and made 2 lots of elderberry wine have bottled one galloon (other still in dj) and back sweetened it a tad its turned out more of a rose but had a bottle last night and i think it is lovelly would recommend it to anyone who is doing a berry wine for the first time you just need patience with it but i enjoyed making it immensley and now i will enjoy drinking it immensley i think i will leave the other dj for another 2-3 Months before bottling it

Comment

Also going to try this one and see how it comes out, still got some in some bottles that I made last year to C J Berryyyyy recipe.

Elderberry wine making with step by step instructions. This is a serious winemaker's recipe not a country recipe for elderberry wine.

If you have any thoughts on this one please let me know.

Thank you :-)

Comment

If you have that many frozen elderberries you could use some for a juice only wine. It will be ready for drinking much sooner than if the whole berries are used. I use a steam juicer for elderberries. This is the ingredients list I have used before:

1 litre Elderberry or Bilberry juice
                            2 litres red grape juice
                            2lb Sugar or to SG 1.095
                            1.5 tsp tartaric acid (to pH 3.4)
                            1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
                            1 tsp Pectolase
                            Water to 1 gallon
                            Red Wine Yeast
                            Cheers,
                            Dave.
                            If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
                            But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Working...
                            X