1 tsp malic acid
    1 tsp grape tannin
    1 tsp pectolase
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    1 Vit B1 tablet
    Hock yeast
    white grape juice to a gallon
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Tom's wine looks interesting. I have a vine in my greenhouse and during the summer months I have to thin out lots of new shoots. So I was thinking next year instead of composting them, I'll save them up by freezing them in, then when I have enough, make a wine from them. I also planted a thornless bramble last year and its now really big, I will probably be making wine from the brambles next year, and would like to try the shoots too. Has anyone tried Tom's recipe? and what was it like?

Here is another recipe from Kenneth Hawkins (nearly the same as c.j.j Berry's)

INGREDIENTS FOR 1 GALLON
    chablis or all-purpose yeast starter
    5 lbs (2.3kg) vine leaves and tendrils
    campden tablet
    3 lbs (1.4kg) granulated sugar
    1 3mg vitamin B1 tablet
    1 heaped tsp citric acid
    1 level tsp nutrient salts

PROCEDURE
    Place the leaves and tendrils in a sterilised bucket and pour in 7 pints (4 litres) of boiling water and add a campden tablet. Let it stand for 48 hours, closely covered, but turn the leaves occasionally so that they are all submerged. Then strain the liquid into a second bucket containing the sugar. Wash the leaves and tendrils in 1 pint (1/2 litre) of hot water, discard the leaves and tendrils and add the water to the bucket containing the sugar, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. The remaining ingredients, including the yeast starter should then be added. Ferment for 4 days before tranferring to a demijohn under airlock, and continue the fermentation to completion in a warm place, racking as soon as rhe wine is stable. A secondracking is advisable after a further 28 days. The wine could be drunk after 4 months.

Anyone tried it?

Cheers
    Last edited by valleydaz; 30-11-2007, 01:31 PM.
    Be luckysigpic

Comment

Originally posted by valleydaz View Post
      Tom's wine looks interesting. I have a vine in my greenhouse and during the summer months I have to thin out lots of new shoots. So I was thinking next year instead of composting them, I'll save them up by freezing them in, then when I have enough, make a wine from them. I also planted a thornless bramble last year and its now really big, I will probably be making wine from the brambles next year, and would like to try the shoots too. Has anyone tried Tom's recipe? and what was it like?

Here is another recipe from Kenneth Hawkins (nearly the same as c.j.j Berry's)

INGREDIENTS FOR 1 GALLON
      chablis or all-purpose yeast starter
      5 lbs (2.3kg) vine leaves and tendrils
      campden tablet
      3 lbs (1.4kg) granulated sugar
      1 3mg vitamin B1 tablet
      1 heaped tsp citric acid
      1 level tsp nutrient salts

PROCEDURE
      Place the leaves and tendrils in a sterilised bucket and pour in 7 pints (4 litres) of boiling water and add a campden tablet. Let it stand for 48 hours, closely covered, but turn the leaves occasionally so that they are all submerged. Then strain the liquid into a second bucket containing the sugar. Wash the leaves and tendrils in 1 pint (1/2 litre) of hot water, discard the leaves and tendrils and add the water to the bucket containing the sugar, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. The remaining ingredients, including the yeast starter should then be added. Ferment for 4 days before tranferring to a demijohn under airlock, and continue the fermentation to completion in a warm place, racking as soon as rhe wine is stable. A secondracking is advisable after a further 28 days. The wine could be drunk after 4 months.

Anyone tried it?

Cheers
      VINE FOLLY WINE
      5 Ib. vine prunings and tendrils
      4 oz, chopped raisins
      2 3/4 Ib. sugar
      I gallon water
      Nutrient
      German yeast such as Johannisberger
      Many winemakers have an odd vine or two which if it doesn't produce enough grapes to make grape wine will certainly produce plenty of foliage. When the grape flower, if any, has set and the foliage is getting thick, prune back the unwanted leaves and tendrils to within two leaves of the young fruit and pinch out any side shoots, as you would for tomato plants. You should take care not to spray your plant
      with Bordeaux mixture, that is copper-sulphate solution, prior to this pruning. Even so, the leaves should be washed to remove dust and then they must be cut up and steered in a gallon of boiling water for three days, then strain and press, stir in the chopped raisins, sugar, nutrient and yeast and ferment for four days before straining and pressing the raisins. Then continue the fermentation as usual. This makes a very pleasant light wine, which can be served cold an a hot summer's evening with considerable satisfaction.

Here is another adaptation for that type of wine. I would think it should be called a raisin wine with what ever the leaves could provide in flavor? One way of making use of the prunings from the grape vine but surley there is something else like a flower petal or blossom that could be used? If ya like raisin wine I guess you may get to enjoy this? Your tastes rule. Without the raisins it would be a very plain light wine with very little body and ? for flavor. Cheers DAW

Comment

So Daw, have you tried it or not?
        Be luckysigpic

Comment

Originally posted by valleydaz View Post
          So Daw, have you tried it or not?

Sorry VD the only fermentable sugar in there is the sugar - no body - little flavor. Not for me and my taste. Cheers DAW

Comment

Hey Daw, i've found this link with the contents of vine leaves http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/v/vine--09.html, some similarities with grapes i think. But i'll take your word for it that there is not so much body or flavour in them.
            cheers
            Be luckysigpic

Comment

Working...
            X