Clear All

• Apple wine

Again from the wonderful Mr Jack Keller

APPLE WINE (1) [Heavy bodied]· 24 lb. windfall apples, mixed varieties*
    · 3-6 lb. granulated sugar
    · 1 gallon water
    · 1 tsp. pectic enzyme
    · Sauterne wine yeast and nutrient
    Chop the apples into small pieces, put into primary fermentation vessel, add the pectic enzyme and water and cover the mixture. The water will not cover the apples, so stir several times a day to bring bottom apples to the top. After 24 hours, add the yeast and nutrient. Keep covered (a bath towel held fast with a large rubber band works well if the primary fermentation vessel doesn't have a lid) and in a warm place for 7-10 days. When the vigorous fermentation of the pulp subsides, strain the juice from the pulp and set aside, then press the juice from the pulp and add to the set-aside liquor. Measure and add 3 lb. sugar per gallon of liquor. Put into carboy or gallon secondary fermentation vessel and fit with airlock. Rack when clear, allow another 60 days, then rack again and bottle. Allow six months before tasting, one year for best results. [Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's First Steps in Winemaking]
    *For this and all apple wine recipes, unless varieties are specified, the more acid and sour varieties are preferred and the sweeter eating varieties are to be avoided. Winesap, McIntosh, Jonathans, and crab apples are best. Delicious apples should be avoided.

APPLE WINE (2) [Medium bodied]· 12 lb. windfall apples, mixed varieties
    · 3 lb granulated sugar
    · 1 gallon water
    · 1 tsp. pectic enzyme
    · Sauterne wine yeast and nutrient
    Quarter the apples and run them through a mincer. Bring pulp to simmer in 1-gallon water, holding simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the juice onto the sugar in primary fermentation vessel, stirring well to dissolve, then reintroduce the strained pulp and, when cool, the pectic enzyme, stirring well. Cover, set in a warm place for 24 hours, then add yeast and nutrient, cover, and set in a warm place for four days, stirring twice daily. Strain pulp and pour liquor into secondary fermentation vessel and fit with airlock. Rack when clear and fermentation has ceased. Rack again in 30 days and again in another 30 days, then bottle. Allow one year to age. [Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's 130 New Winemaking Recipes]

APPLE WINE (3) [Light bodied]
    · 6 lb. windfall apples, mixed varieties
    · 1/2 lb. chopped golden raisins
    · 3 lb. granulated sugar
    · 1 lemon
    · 1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
    · Yeast and nutrient
    Chop the apples into small pieces and bring to simmer in 1 gallon of water, holding simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the liquid onto the sugar in Primary, adding the zest of the lemon and stirring well to blend. When nearly cool, add lemon juice and pectic enzyme, stir well, cover, and set in warm place for 24 hours. Add yeast and nutrient, again stir well, cover again, and set in warm place for an additional 24 hours. Strain again into secondary fermentation vessel and fit with airlock. Rack after 30 days, add chopped raisins, and allow to ferment under airlock for six months. Rack and bottle. Taste after six months, or allow one year to mature.[Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's First Steps in Winemaking]

APPLE WINE (4) [Heavy bodied]
    · 1 gallon pure apple juice (no preservatives)
    · 1 lb. granulated sugar
    · 1-1/2 tsp. acid blend
    · 1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
    · 1/4 tsp tannin
    · 1 crushed Campden tablet
    · Champagne yeast and nutrient
    Put juice, sugar, crushed Campden tablet, pectic enzyme, acid blend, and tannin into primary fermentation vessel. Stir vigorously to dissolve solids and cover. After 24 hours, add yeast and nutrient and cover. Stir daily. When S.G. reaches 1.040 (3-5 days), rack into secondary fermentation vessel and fit airlock. Rack again after 30 days and again after two months. When wine is clear, rack again and bottle. Taste after six months. [Adapted from Raymond Massaccesi's Winemaker's Recipe Handbook]
    APPLE WINE (5) [Spiced]
    · 12 lb. mixed Fuji and Gala apples
    · 1 lb. chopped golden raisins
    · 2-1/2 lb granulated sugar
    · 1 gallon water
    · 1 oz. cloves
    · 2 3-inch cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
    · 1 oz. shredded ginger root
    · 1 tsp. acid blend
    · 1/2 tsp. pectin enzyme
    · 1 crushed Campden tablet
    · Sauterne or Champagne wine yeast and nutrient
    Quarter the apples and run them through a mincer. Put in primary fermentation vessel with all ingredients except yeast and nutrient, cover, and set in warm place for 24 hours. Add yeast and nutrient, stir, and cover for four days, stirring twice daily. Strain liquor into secondary fermentation vessel and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days and again after two months. When clear, rack again
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Off the top of your head Bob, can you remember which of the modern yeasts are "Sauterne" ?

As I've seen this on a number of recipes and while I understand that it's something to do with a wine type - I'm more familiar with yeast type numbering i.e. K1V, Gervins No2 etc etc.

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Lalvin R2 is sauternes, but I would use the Lalvin 71B-1122 for this, or failing that the D47
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Quick question,

I'm making a wine very similar to the 3rd apple wine listed and the SG puts it at aprox 15% when i add the raisins will that increase the sugar and assosiated sweetness and alcohol levels of the wine or is it just to add to the flavour?

Comment

Adding raisins will increase the sugar levels of the must, potentially making your 15% (ABV?) even higher. How did you arrive at the 15% - was the SG approximately 1.100. That would seem high. In any case, as you are making a light bodied wine that would be over the top and the wine would appear 'hot'.
          I think I would dilute the must so that you get the SG reading to about 1.080.
          I would also use sultanas which are made from white grapes, rather than raisins (red grapes).
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
          X