No announcement yet.

Damson/Plum wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm planning on making both of these in the near future but have couple of questions - what is yeast energizer? I have some yeast nutrient but they don't seem to stock energizer at the place I normally buy from. Also is there any suggestion as to what yeast to use? I have a tub of youngs wine yeast will that suffice or should I get something better?

Cheers
    Michael

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Normal plums I destone, for Damsons or any smaller plums I simply freeze and thaw, putting them whole into a straining bag,
      Do you sulphite them at any point to protect against nasties?

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        With both wines, sulfite initially and after every other racking.
        Here you go
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Grrrrr Started to make plum wine 2 and took my eye off the ball so lets see if something can be done.
          I was originally concerned about the initial amount of sugar as it seems to be the same for both recipes, so I added 1-1/2 lbs. Unfortunately in a moment of stupidity I brought the level up to 9 ltrs. As I have no damsons left could I fortify it with the 2lbs of elderberries I picked ? presumably adding more sugar to SG 1.080.
          I have a couple of cans of red wine enricher kicking around if this would help. Also I only have citric acid and don't have peptic enzyme but as the fruits were foraged it costs next to nothing to experiment.
          Any thoughts will be greatly welcomed

Regards Alan

Comment

Working...
          X