RJ Spagnols Italian Amarone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJ Spagnols Italian Amarone.

I just bottled an RJS Ital. Amarone that I started on Aug 23, 2007. It was a 16 litre kit with about a pound of sun-maid raisins. In turned out to be to be the best red i have made to date even though it is quite young. It is a Cru Select kit. I currently have an WE Ital. Barabaresco clearing but i think the RJS Amarone will be next on the bench. The Amarone was kit #131

PS: Bob, let me know if this post is in the right place. These European forums confuse the heck out me. Or, maybe just move it to the right place if necessary. Thanks.
    Last edited by rrs18; 08-11-2007, 07:07 PM.

I have a WE Amarone which I'm due to start, have you tried the WE one if so how does it compare to the RJS one.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I haven't tried the WE yet. I am thinking about it, but my RJS version costs about $30.00 less than the WE at my LHBS and so far I am happy with the RJS.

Would I be happier with the WE. Maybe. We will see.

Comment

Would you give it 5 out of 5 stars, Russ?

Great to see you here again.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by rrs18 View Post
          I haven't tried the WE yet. I am thinking about it, but my RJS version costs about $30.00 less than the WE at my LHBS and so far I am happy with the RJS.

Would I be happier with the WE. Maybe. We will see.
          I have also been looking at the Spagnols kits. I am 5 star happy with the Cellar Craft Amarone and it is less costly than the Spagnols. SPAGNOLS now have the En Primer line of kits now and there is an Amarone included in there - that one would be worth trying; there is also an Sicilian Syrah that includes Hungary Oak Staves in each kit -- I am surely going to try that. Cheers these grape pack kits are outstanding and sure make a difference. DAW

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
            Would you give it 5 out of 5 stars, Russ?
            You might know that in a different forum, i have been accused of having little or no taste. Of course, that could be correct.

I would rate it at 4 1/2 stars. I make a lot of not so high end kits (I hate to call them lower end) and i have liked them all except one. I have made the WE Luna Rossa a few times and I think that the Amarone is better. But, i have made several WE World Vineyard reds and i think they are pretty good too. Maybe i would give them 3 1/2. Truth be told, I am a lousy judge of wine. No matter how much i make or drink, it is hard for me to decide which is better or worse. Whenever i bottle one, i think it is the best ever. Ok, not always.

Good to hear from you.

Russ S.

Comment

Hi, Russ, lovely to meet someone like me who can't dispassionately judge the quality of a wine. I either like it or I don't and that's that.
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Raisins

Originally posted by rrs18 View Post
                It was a 16 litre kit with about a pound of sun-maid raisins.

This may sound a bit of a daft question.. but what effect does adding the raisins do, and how did you know it'd need it. What stage did you add them for what effect, and what prep do you do to the raisins?

Just wondering, as I've started a 4 week kit this eve, (Heron Bay, blue label Malbec/Cab franc) and have a few bags of raisins in the cupboard.

Would you add them to something you've not tried before?
                Rich

Comment

Russ.....so happy to see you

your input will be most welcome here, even if you cant taste!

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    This may sound a bit of a daft question.. but what effect does adding the raisins do, and how did you know it'd need it. What stage did you add them for what effect, and what prep do you do to the raisins?

Just wondering, as I've started a 4 week kit this eve, (Heron Bay, blue label Malbec/Cab franc) and have a few bags of raisins in the cupboard.

Would you add them to something you've not tried before? Rich
                    As someone once said, there are no daft question.

I added the raisins because they came with the kit. The instructions said to do so. Because I am a good soldier, I did just that.

I just plopped them in the must. some folks have put them in a blender, and some have soaked them in warm water. Maybe next time, i will chop them up a little in the blender. Oh, and i added them at the beginning. Straight away.

I added about 1/4 cup to my Italian Barbaresco. Why? Seemed like a good idea at the time. I don't think it can cause any harm, and may help. Time will tell. Maybe by next week I will know. As soon as i know, i will let you know.

I think raisins may help any red kit. Get "may". I would go slow with it. But the raisins I used were Sun-maid yellows. And that is what came with the Amarone kit.

Good luck

Comment

OIC......

Yellow or white raisins. Maybe I should have used them in a wine I made with rasins in it once upon a time that is still bottle aging perpetually. I used the dark sunmaids in it, and probably too much. It wasn't a kit. It has been named Rotgut. I have not made many kits, but always plan to. Some of the new whites appeal to me.

Thanks Russ.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Russ. If you were told to that's great. Think I'll leave mine alone and do it as instructed.. Only making this one as an earlier drinking wine whilst some of the posh ones age a little.

Rich

Comment

I thought someone asked this, but i can't find where. Oh, the question. Something about the color of the Sun-Maid raisins. They are called "golden". Has a nice ring to it. Sort of a California/Napa Valley feel.

R

Comment

Raisins do add some body to wines. I have use the golden ones only. Cut or chop them up and put them in a nylon straining bag along with the fruit that you are using (dried elderberries or dried sour cherries or apricots). No negative comments so far - do not over due approx 1 pound max per gallon. There is also a raisin Sherry that is made -= includes 3 pounds of golden raisins per gallon and a cup of light dry malt? If you like that sort of thing? Cheers DAW

Comment

I might be wrong, but I think I saw somewhere where golden raisins are called sultanas in the UK.

Hi Russ, nice to have you aboard here.

Steve
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X