Rioja - Beaverdale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rioja - Beaverdale

This is a 5 gallon (30 bottle) kit that I made to give me some drinking stock so I can get on with other stuff.

The kit price was £37, so at £1.23 a bottle it is pretty good value for money. A 6 bottle kit is a good way to find out what you like but at £10 or £1.66 a bottle this starts getting expensive.

The box contains: grape concentrate, yeast, bentonite (whites), oak chippings (most kits), stabaliser, 2 part finings (kieselsol and chitosan) and most importantly, instructions! The instructions are clear and simple and should be followed to the letter. You don't have to add the oak, it's down to individual taste.

The Beaverdale kits are sugar inclusive so are simple to start, just throw it in a bucket and let it go! (more or less).

I filtered and bottled the Rioja about 3 weeks after starting it. I used a Harris filter and needed to change pads about halfway so it could have been left another few days clearing.

Easyness of making 4/5
    Flavour 4/5
    Value for money 4/5
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

I haven't sampled the standard kit, but I have tried Richard S's 'tweaked' kit, and I thought it was great. In fact, I have a 30 bottle kit sitting here, and I'm going to try to reproduce his results.

Just search for 'tweaked' and you'll find it.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

The tweaks are so easy you can't fail. You will end up with some decent, early drinking stuff to drink while the "good stuff" matures.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Duh!

What tweaking?

Comment

One of my choice slurping reds is the Beaverdale Rioja. The last one I made was in November and already I find myself down to the last few bottles. I bought another and decided to try to "enhance" the kit a little by adding a few extras. The kit comes with a packet of oak dust, I like oak so in went a 30g packet of
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
          X